Saturday, April 14, 2007

Games 1 and 2

Spring league has started here in Western Montana. All the team names are Montana Dinosaurs, so we are Troodon. I think that is how you spell it.

Game 1 was last week. It was a 40 degree, rainy, windy day. So basically the worst conditions for starting a spring/summer league. We had a lot of women, I think 7. And about 8 or 9 men. We are much more experienced on the women's side. 2 club level women. Plus a couple others that have played before and are rather athletic. Our men were not quite so experienced. We had a guy who was wearing a Purchase Cup t-shirt, but he left before the first half ended. Most of the rest of our men have played, they are pretty fast or pretty tall, but not the best throwers. Which in the end is fun for me, because I almost always get to pick up the disc and throw whatever.

Our first game was a game of runs, it was more of a crosswind then upwind/downwind game. We would go up by 2, then they would go up by 1, etc. We were leading at half 7-6. This half took a while. Probably close to 2 hours. It was not a clean game. I was happy that we were up because I felt they were better. They had one guy who was a definite club level player. Very good. 3 other guys who were quick and who could throw well. This meant that after one or two completions, they were still likely to complete the next pass. A distinct advantage. Plus, they had 2 athletic women, so our biggest advantage was not nearly has big as their man advantage.

Their strategy was to put one of their less experienced men on me and allow the really good guy to roam and make sure I would not huck it. That was a bummer. We worked it up decent many times, but most of the times something would go wrong before we got into the endzone.

The second half was not so good. Theresa was stuck on the sidelines taking care of the little guy. And they went on a 4-0 run, pretty much putting the game away. THe turning point was their main guy (I think his name was James) pulled to the back of the endzone and it stayed in bounds. Everyone ran away from me, so I had no one to center to. After holding it for 5 seconds, trying to convince someone to come back. I just launched it. Which was much shorter than his pull. Needless to say, they scored that point.

We finally score to get to 8-10, but it was pretty dark outside at that point and the damage was done. I am assuming the game either got called or the other team scored 11 (the game was capped at some point). We decided to take off after 8-10 due to darkness, wetness, and coldness. Lucy was on the sideline repeating the word "Home".

Although we could not pull out the w, we have a pretty fun team. Everyone understands our predicament with the kids. And everyone as the attitude to just run around. FOr the most part is good, but we are a team that does not believe in keeping a force. Which is fine and it forces me to always watch the marker. Which side are we forcing? It changes from throw to throw.

The highlight was that the Murray/Webers threw all 8 goals (TJ 7, T-dub 1). And one guy on our team was really good at catching my blades. Including one that was a very good Jerry Rice over the shoulder grab. The lowlight for me was the disc I doinked near the end of the game. It was one of those that I could not decide fast enough whether to pancake it or crab crawl it. Instead I did something that allowed it to go right through my hands. I think I was worried about breaking a nail. My hands were very cold at that point. Another lowlight was my inability to throw a straight forehand for more than 40 yards. For that, my excuse is my cat had just scratched me on my middle finger and it hurt.

Notice I do not have the # of turnovers. I lose count of those during spring league. Too many to count

Game 2

This was this past Wed. Unfortunately, it was just Lucy and I as T-dub was very sick after our journey to Sun Valley last weekend. Plus, a couple of our other women were not there. We were allowed to take one of the women from the other team as well. So we played 5-2 this week (the previous week we played 4-3 the whole time).

This week, the other team was more experienced then us (a nice way of saying Al anf Jim would have fit right in with them talking about how great MASH was). Which meant one thing, zone. That would not be a bad thing, but 2 of our best throwers were not there. The weather was much nicers, 50s, a slight breeze. So not the worst weather to face a zone against.

After a delayed start, we went out in front 3-1. Luckily after we would turn it over against their zone, they would turn it quickly back. THus, we would throw a huck and score. The good news was we had a new guy show up right at the beginning of the game. He could throw and would throw deep too. That was excellent. And he had a 6 year old daughter, that was good b/c she eventually hung out with Lucy a lot. Oh, and he really wanted to win. So we now had more momentum to get the victory.

While our offense revolved around them turning it over, their offense was much more organized with a stack and a good thrower and a really fast guy who resembled Randy Gage.

After some back and force, we would take half 7-5. It seemed like things were going well, but in the 2nd half their zone clamped down on us and they were able to gain the lead back. Eventually, our team would catch on to my strategy of blades. I finally convinced a couple of my teammates to stay deeper and behind their defenders so I would rip them a blade. Then it got catchy as 2 others on our team starting throwing hammers over the zone. It worked very well. The momentum changing point was one of our men ripped a blade while we were stuck in the back of the endzone. The receiver, immediately threw deep to our smallest receiver for a 100 yard goal in 2 throw point! Just like we drew it up.

I thought we were not going to pull it our when one of our guys jumped caught the goal and then landed out of bounds. The jumping part was unnecessary, so very close to a "stupidest". But not quite. We were able to pull it to 11s. We forced a turn near their endzone and a moderate huck and another mid field huck got us our first lead in awhile. 12-11. They again worked it up methodically against our "We don't know which way we're forcing, so you don't either" defense. An upline pass headed to the endzone was d'd on a poach. Immediately I take off, complete huck, 2 more throws later we score and pull out a W. We are now 1-1. Only one game out of first. Assuming there are 2-0 teams...

This week was more fun, mainly becuase of the weather. I will admit to get a little frustrated at not being able to have a consistent force. By the end of the game, I gave up on that and felt maybe this was the best strategy. If we didn't know what we were doing, they wouldn't either. Then I thought maybe no strategy was the best strategy of all. And that is what I going to stick with. Although I did try to chime in at one point with some advice, I realized no more. Less talking is more. I was always trying to get Sub Zero to think on the field more. I think I will try to keep that idea away from Troodon.

This week I only threw 6 goals... I still have not received any. In fact, I am not sure if I have cut into the endzone yet. I would like to say that my turns were down. But it is spring league. I did not drop the disc which was good. And I threw it better deep. We'll see if we can keep this one game win streak up next week.

Workouts:
Since I last posted, workouts have been few and far between. We went to Sun Valley last weekend. Plus, another illness was in our house this past week. I stayed away from it, but the others did not. Hopefully, I will be able to pull a couple days in a row.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home