Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Pickup

Good evening. Life had been bz for us, 2 bouts of illnesses, march madness, work, and a brief vacation in a hot springs. But finally on Monday we played outdoor frisbee. For me, it was the first time since July and it felt like an eternity. For T-dub, well, I think she played outdoor a little bit last spring. But this was the first time she was playing "solo" for like 2 and half years or so.

It was fun. The quality of ultimate was actually pretty good. It helped that I was on the team with "Fast Johnny". Bascially, he goes deep faster than anyone else. So if you can throw it that far, it works out well. Luckily, I can throw a flick far enough. The backhand made it far enough most of the time.

Pickup feels very strange (Am I the only one to have this feeling?). I have played very little pickup in this century. Maybe 5 times total? Maybe less? All that I have played since 99 has been very structured. Practices, games, scrimmages, etc. All with guys, (occasionally with girls too) who I know what they are going to do out there. It is strange to get out there and not know anything about anyone. And have everyone running around. Little things like a stack that is stretched out over 35 yards. I never allow that on the teams I have played on, but I found myself 30 yards from the disc just standing there. Or when my man is fronting me and good thrower gets the disc, I start busting deep. Only I find 2 other teammates going deep. And another in the endzone. I thought this would frustrate me to no end. And I would not be able to play. Nope, I loved it. It was just great to play again.

I totally felt like a little kid out there running around. My legs felt great, that is what I worried about the most. I have had knee and hammy problems early in the season for the past couple years. Not that I am ready to declare that pain gone, but I felt like my legs were spry. I feel I had the same expression on my face as a smoker who started smoking again after stopping for 6 months.

Pretty soon spring league will start and we will see how the legs then. This morning though, they felt fine. Of course, it was just pickup.

The funniest thing is now what we bring to pickup. Seriously, it was like our car was packed for a weekend of ultimate. Baby jogger for one kid. Pack-n-play for the other. A bag of our stuff. A little cooler. A bag for the kids. A chair. I used to make fun of who we become all the time. We tried to leave 5 minutes before the game ended. But we still were packing our stuff up as everyone else removed their cleats and made dinner plans. I just laugh at us. I wouldn't trade it though. I hope I find a good balance with family and ultimate this year, both of them make me a happy person

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Timmy, I never knew you were laughing at Kelly and me all those years with the twins.

Your description of parenting and kids while playing ultimate brings me some joy. Although I will admit you provided great diversions for our kids back in the day.

2:32 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Totally I was laughing at you, probably thinking to myself "No way will I ever do that"...

I still remember Turtle groaning as Michael fed their dog all the treats and then running over to us bragging about it. Good times.

In hindsight, it was obvious how much stuff you guys brought. But it did not become obvious until I had to pack it all!

Hope minneapolis is ok. We miss it, but Montana is growin' on us.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home