Saturday, March 03, 2007

upa rules

Two posts in 2 days, I am staying up too late. I have been reading the new uparules.blogspot.com since I did not follow any of the developments over e-mail or during the voting (I was not a upa member last year, so i never even bothered to look at them until now). So far, the best addition to the rules is the disc space rule. Basically, I like that the thrower gets at least 2 extra seconds if the marker invades disc space early in the count without having to stop play.

There are 3 major violators (I think) of disc space when you are a cutter. First, the good defender who either gets the d by not hitting you or just misses ds (ie lays out and just misses the disc as you catch it). This violater does not bother me so much b/c the good ones know when they can go for the disc and not crush you. If you do catch the disc, they will be recovering out of the way.

Second, the really bad defenders who can lay out. Basically, these guys just lay out when the disc in thrown to you and they are close often times catching your knees or pushing you out of bounds or ending up in your business. Commonly, these defenders attempt to go through your back or legs to get the disc b/c they might have a chance to get the disc. Even though it is through you. I complained about this wrt to natties 05 and Todd Owens got injured. Also, one of my *favorite* players from college/club in the midwest ended up in my legs 5 times over my career. Anyway, if you take that abuse, at least you should be able to do is get 2 extra seconds while the guy gets up off your legs.

Third, the purposeful bump every time you get the disc b/c you are dangerous. This has not really ever effected me. The worst examples of this are when the cutters are really fast (and usually small). The extreme case I saw was with Alex Masulis. I loved playing with Alex and it is unfortunate he is a big city with no frisbee. He is arguably the best cutter I have played with, but anyway I digress. He is small andfast and can throw and jump. So he is an excellent target. I will not name names, but during a game in which we were doing well against a big name team they employed a pretty cheap philosophy. Everytime Alex would get an under (which if you have played with Alex, can be very often), this defender would lunge into Alex. Part of our success early in the game was Alex getting unders and either jacking it successfully or getting rid of it quick and getting open.

Anyway, this really hurt us. If he called a foul, play stops, slows down the flow, and more importantly slows down Alex. If he did not call a foul, he loses a couple of seconds. And at the very least is off balance early in the count. I guess 2 seconds is a decent amount of time back. In retrospect, we should have addressed the issue with the opposing team's captain b/c it was fairly obvious it was on purpose. But I will admit to being a bit intimidated to bring something like that up (which is another issue in itself).

So yeah, i like the 11th edition rules so far.

7 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

refs are required wherever people are willing to cheat. it is funny though: many of these players will then play the same way at 'low level' un reffed tourneys, no call, no foul

9:07 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

I still feel like a ninny of a captain for not at least bitching to the other team's captan about it.

7:46 PM  
Blogger $ said...

Afraid I have to disagree with you on the disc space. If they touch you it's a foul, if they don't...no foul. I see way to many ways to take advantage of the 'disc space' calls.

I understand the flow argument, but I think this will cause more than a few arguments once it is used at Natties.

$

6:59 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Its a violation like double team so there is nothing the defender can't really argue with it once it is initially called. (right, i think that is the way it is treated).

Plus, I think most defenders know that they have done this, so they will give up the 2 seconds for the initial stop of the huck.

There is no real great way for the receiver/thrower to take away this situation, maybe an unmarked throw for the whole 10 count... But at least 2 seconds is something.

7:19 AM  
Blogger el Presidente said...

The big impact of "disc space" as a deterrant to early fouling is that any later marking violation can be called as a general violation, stopping play and reducing the count to 1.

As for contesting, the marker can always stop play and disagree with the call. But for any reasonable application of the rule, what's there to disagree about?

I like the right to call "disc space" on the cheap marks that keep on tapping at you, but would fuss if you called a foul.

But the rule seems overinclusive in making illegal some good marks. A full 12" between the line between my feet and the thrower's pivot?!

12:43 AM  
Blogger supertaster said...

gee, your description of bad defenders sounds like quite a few midwest s-box players. which could it be?

nate

12:41 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

naaaahhh... he's clearly baggin on furious...
the stoppages KILLLLL friskee. the game favors offense, so teams mark too hard. shorten the stall count, and enforce marking requirements... try that at your local league.

get back to me.

better yet, check in w/ CF

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home