Saturday, March 31, 2007

A New Philosophy

After a couple weeks of various illnesses in our house, I have finally been able to attempt to get back into shape. Right now, I mainly think about getting into shape. But on my runs, I can't help think about getting in shape to play ultimate. My philosophy to get in shape was to run. Whether it was hills or long runs or sprint workout or whatever, I was running...

There are plenty of reasons for this philosophy, but first and foremost is it is in my blood. All my siblings run (and all faster than me). While many complain about running 30 minutes, I am definitely more likely to complain about biking 30 minutes or lifting or other workouts. I actually like running

The second reason for always running is that is what 90% of ultimate is. YOu have to run to get open. You have to run to cover your man. Etc. Running is my strength and I have always tried to use this to my advantage. Many people like to call timeouts on long points. I always tried to convince people not to, b/c I knew my man was more tired.

This philosophy began to change in 05. Increased hours in the lab and increased hours of watching infants started to occur. I wore out easier and my knees ached a lot more (coming from bursitis/infection in one knee and repeat hyperextension in the other due to bursitis/infection in the first knee). To alleviate this, I began forcing myself on the exercise bike. I try to do this at least 1 or 2 times a week as a way to workout without the constant pressure of the road on my legs. This seemed to help as I had a pretty good nationals and more importantly I felt like I did not wear out. Something I definitely felt in 04 at natties.

My training regiment has changed even more in Montana. These days time is much more important to me. I no longer have 60+ minutes to spend on a workout. I try to fit in workouts in under 40 minutes. Occasionally finding time to go to the gym for longer. So most of my runs won't be more than 4 and a half miles. Track workouts will be shorter. A way to get around this is to get up early and workout then. Right now, it is pretty dark in these parts until ~7. I am still not very comfortable running around here in the dark. Also, I tried to get up at 5:30 a couple times a week and go to the gym. It turns out that I am not a great early morning person. I think I can do that once a week. But more than that and I am absolutely dead by Thursday evening/Friday all day.

So, everything is abbreviated and leads to more workouts during runs. Like accelerations or 5 minutes hard/5 minutes jog. Not bad, but not the focus of my workouts the past 10 years.

For example, last week was a week in which I would love to repeat as often as possible:
Sunday (my one longer workout day) - Track workout - 5 minute warmup; 1200 (4:20) - 800 (2:40) - 400 (76). 3 minute rest after 1200, 2:30 after 800. 5 minute cool down. The workout started out great, but the 400 hurt. Not sure if I will get to a 5:00 mile this year.
Monday - lifted for 40 minutes
Tuesday- spinning- 45 minute class
Wed.- 25 minute run
Thu. - 23 minute run
Fri. - off
Sat. - 22 minute run pushing a baby jogger. It is less strange running with no arms moving then it is with one. I would have never thought this.

This week differs from previous pre-season b/c most everything is scaled back a bit. My track workout is a little slower. When I did lift, I usually ran on the same day. And I tried to always hit 30 minute runs (or a total of 30 minutes if I ran twice in that day). All in all though, I am happy with it. Part of me is just estatic to get in shape, if I haven't said that enough.

Another part is I am preparing for a different role on the frisbee field. One where I am not a captain. Assuming I do play this year, I will not be attending many practices. I will not be travelling to many(any?) tournaments. I will be playing with 2 kids on the sidelines, in between games, at the hotel, etc. My energy will no longer be directed trying to be the best player on the field all the time. Only some of the time....

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

consider loosely preplanning your season, and incorporating some rudimentary periodization... i.e., instead of going directly to the 400's, spend 2 weeks of doing 2 x 10 minute at 'race pace' for your harder workout, then 3 x 8, 4 x 6, 5 x 5, 6 x 4, 8 x 3... if it stresses the legs, you can do a set of the intensities on the bike... then as you get to august, do your easy stuff easy, or on the bike, and your intesities on grass (100's, 40's, etc). consider throwing in high knees and buttkicks, side to sides, skips, after your 5-10 min workout as part of your prep for faster stuff... no more than 1-2 of your workouts hard (Especially if you can't find dirt to run on )....

just a thought. there are resources available as to what percentage of your runs should be 'hard' vs base... do your specific work running, easy work can be done on the bike (or whatever means you cross train).

but you know all this...

9:59 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Thanks Luke, those are good points. I remembered last night longer workouts like go out and back for a total of 10 minutes (turn around a 5 minutes). Just to make sure you are keeping an even pace over 10 minutes.

THe local track here is cinder, which I am not sure if that is good. But I am fairly certain I can at least run on the football field there. That does not seem to be a problem (for shorter sprints and plyo stuff)

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home