Friday, March 02, 2007

I figured the title thingy out!

Hi, I have nothing of any ultimate interest to report. My mind has been boggled by kids vomiting and vaccines (both for my kids and for the world). Today though I signed up for an ultimate outdoor 7-on-7 league with a draft and not just a stacked team of friends for the first time in 8 years. Not since Tdub and I captained a team back in A-squared have I played a co-ed league with a draft. And I am looking forward to it. I think I miss competition. Not in your face, win or die type competition. Just the type of competition you find in a pick-up bball game. Heck, I found myself excited about the possibility of playing softball for work.

I remember my freshman year in college. For the first time since I was 6 or 7 (I forget when I started playing teaball), I was not involved in a competitive activity. I decided that I did not need sports, but I wanted to stay in shape. So I took to running, but I thought there was no point. I found it hard to motivate myself to just stay in shape, even though it was good for me. Of course, as many freshman do when it comes to this, I turned to other activities that may or may not have been legal for an 18-year old. By the end of the year though, I found that I did not really care about anything. Not that I did not care about sports, I just lost motivation.

I went home that summer with the thought that I would try to get in shape and walk-on on the cross-country. To avoid embarassment, my times were not good enough to run on the team. But I had some friends on the team and was starting to get in shape. Of course, I did not really commit to this because the whole time I was running I thought to myself I am not good enough. And so I never was getting into great shape.

Late in that summer, I was at lunch with some friends when a guy from the ND frisbee team met us at lunch (I worked at ND during the summer). After throwing around and not going back to work for way too long, he talked me into coming to a practice they had. And I loved it. It hit me, this was just the type of competition I needed. I still wanted to win, but I had grown up about it or something. I did not have the pressure on myself or maybe more importantly I never thought I was not good enough. Because I was really doing it for fun. That was a great feeling and I look forward to that in April. I look forward to having fun and running down some frisbees again (of course in between, I took frisbee way too seriously, but that is another time) while trying to squeak out a win.

The weather has been beautiful here, a little colder, but better then most places in the country these days, that is for sure. The last week, the sleep schedule has been off so no early morning spin classes. And barely any long runs as it seemed like I had my first survival week of a working parent... But everyone is on the rebound it seems, so hopefully this week gets better with sleeping/running/life. I got the new Shins + Lucinda Williams over the past 2 weeks. Not too bad, I have not really been able to really listen to them, just here and there. The new Tragically Hip has been on the radio lately. Good stuff. Special mention to the radio here, not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Easily better then anything in Minneapolis, I think. Maybe because my expectations were so low.

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

yo timmy, i think you just summarized why i ski race now. i'm never going to the olympics. i'm only so so. but, i hunger for some outlet for trying.

coaching is pleasant, and i take some joy in the athlete's growth, but, uh, i want something for me.

so i ski race.

even in the years when i was not 'competetive' at ulti, i always went to tourneys, i look back, and the beer was always cold, the laughs were always deep, and every play was money... they were just better when i was at natties, or champies, and after a bitter loss, i could hijack the beer tent.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home