Monday, March 27, 2006

Major League Ultimate. That was the subject line on a recent e-mail that I received.

This should be interesting, after reading it and realizing that I won't be making a million dollars a year anytime soon (at least playing ultimate). I read it again. I am sure most people who read this are familiar w/ Mr. Toad who used to post a couple times on rsd.

His new idea for a tourney this year was to split the country into 4 regions, Northwest, Southwest, Southeast, and my region, Northeast. Within these 4 regions, one captain would be nominated and they would recruit players within in their region. The NE captain is from Pike and that is who e-mailed me. Looking at the list of possible teammates, it is hard not to get excited and interested.

One of the stumbling blocks for me is the fact they do not have a weekend (or a place) set yet. There is still a possibility I would go, but I have a very limited # of weekends this summer.

As I read on, there will be refs. This interested me. I do not think that ultimate should go to refs. I do like the call your own stuff. I do appreciate that everything is dictated by the players. But that is not why I play. That is not what drew me to the sport. The no ref idea is something that I have really grown to appreciate and enjoy, but I am not against refs. Especially, since I have never played in a game with refs.

I would love the opportunity to play ultimate w/ referees. Just call me curious. I feel like I can't really rip the idea of refs without playing in a tourney with them first.

The hope of this tourney is, I think, to spark interest in a Ultimate Frisbee league with $$$ + refs. When the idea was first pitched to me a while back, sub zero was in the same division as Sockeye, Furious, and Truck. I assume it would work where you would play teams in your division all in the same weekend somewhere.

At the very least, I would love the opportunity to play with some other solid players from other good teams. I am a fan of whoring myself out for a weekend occassionally.

But could one weekend really, somehow, generate that much interest and get ultimate to get sponsored and even on ESPN6? Are refs really the only thing missing from ultimate being bigtime? Anytime there is golf on tv and my mom is there, she says "ultimate is much more exciting than this".

I have my doubts that this could lead to pro-ultimate, but playing with the best against the best could be fun.

3 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Tim,
Interesting developments.
Here (unsolicited) are my impressions after playing in the Santa Cruz Labor Day Tourney in (I believe '96). It was an all refereed tournament. But only for the 'Elite' division. Each team supplied 4 volunteers that would be available to officiate during one or two byes during the weekend. Even though I have generally been "anti-referees" for ultimate, I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how it worked, so I volunteered. Refs made all calls, including stall counts. Overall, the impressions were favorable from most all players. Keep in mind, it was a one time experiment and most every team seemed to want to make it work. I heard reports that, by the second game, San Diego "Nice Guys" were already starting to push bending the rules for an advantage.
Just my quick side note.
-Billy

3:12 PM  
Blogger gcooke said...

Tim,

Just want to make sure I understand. 1 team of all-stars from each region, correct?

Thanks, G

8:05 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

GC- Yep, 4 teams of "all-stars".

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home