Tuesday, January 24, 2006

3-0 in the big winter league season. Although the schedule looks to toughen up a bit as we play the "Alumni from the other school in Northfield that plays ultimate, but never had any success". Kind of a weird team name.

The game was close for a while, 5-5 at one point. Then a decisive 4 point run put the game away and we would win 13-6. My stats, again, were very unimpressive. 7 points played, +3 (the last 3 I played, part of the decisive run!), 1 goal, no assists. Although if this were hockey, I would have had 4 assists. Clearly, the throw before the goal throw is very important. I did have my first every point block on a woman. I got skiied in our endzone, but then skiied the same guy back the same point.

2 things from this game. First, 11 pm games are very tiring. Second, and somewhat more controversial, this game reminded me of a topic we use to discuss a lot when I was in Ann Arbor. Specifically, 2 types of players, well there are plenty types of players, but this is more fun to discuss. The first group - the Worst-Good Players. The second group - the Best-Worst players.

The only real rule is you will never be able to switch from one group to the other. Well, maybe it is possible, but I have never seen it.

For example, let's say Paul Greff (used to be considered tbpitg) gets really bad. Well, he, at worst, could only be the worst-good player now. He could never ever become the the best-worst player.

You can improve your stock. I used to think Matt Higbee was the worst-good player in ultimate. Then playing with him in 2000, he clearly was a good player. And he could have the worst-good player removed from his playing ability.

I bring this up b/c we played a team with a couple guys who you could argue are the best-worst players in ultimate. There are a couple of things that make you the best-worst player in ultimate:

1. Athletic- usually these guys are athletic, fast, can jump, but rarely can put all of their tools together at one time.

2. Throws- they have ok throws. Take away the wind and they complete some funny stuff which in turns fuels the fire to make funnier throws.

3. The earlier the season the better. You do not want to play these guys indoors or early in the outdoor season (maybe more significant in midwest). You must remember these guys only have one level and they play at that level all year. If you are not ready, they can beat you. They will be more motivated than you to play, that is for sure.

4. A refusal to go to the dump below 7 or 8. Almost the most reliable part of their game.

I am slowly beginning to learn really how to take down these guys. Really, it involves a tough mark (and by a tough mark, I do not mean hacking the hell out of them pups). At 6-5, this is what changed in our defense, we marked better and took away open throws with the mark. They got discouraged and either hucked it away, or got stalled or threw a stupid dump at 9.

11 Comments:

Blogger Schmelz said...

We played a team full of Best-Worst players and fell to them last week. I would make a separate point ofthat B-W players try their absolute hardest during insignificant games (ie winter indoor).

I'll be sure to see if those qualities apply to the team we're playing this Friday. Definitely a group of B-W players.

Tip for your game on Friday:
1) Always let the tallest guy on their team throw uncontested upsidedown throws (especially scoobers)

2:28 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Let's just say if anyone on the opposition throws a scoober on Friday, I will start running to our endzone yelling "I'm open"....

5:00 PM  
Blogger Seigs said...

You said: "blah, blah, blah...another heckle of the PuPs...blah, blah, blah."

In my defense, I only need to hack the best-best players.

Anyone below that level never touches the disc on me. =)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

dump?

8:30 PM  
Blogger Seigs said...

Luke, sheesh, it's not even like you are getting creative with your repeating heckles on me for that play...

Don't get me wrong--I love the heckle...if it's good.

I'm tempted to respond just as uncreatively and say something from right off the elementary school playground like,

"Oh yeah! Well, at least I never got cut from a Frisbee team before! Snap!"

Ouch. In the words of George Costanza, "That's gotta hurt!"

7:50 AM  
Blogger parinella said...

"Oh yeah! Well, at least I never got cut from a Frisbee team before! Snap!"

We can change that, if you'd like.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Schmelz said...

Seigs,
You and I should follow another George moment and go out on a (heckling) high note before it starts to affect our PT.

Personally, I'm playing against a team featuring all four of my captains on Friday, so I may have to "accidentally" let them go deep on me a couple times.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

sweet! a personal attack... this drags me out of my torpor...

this may come as a suprise, but most of my time is spent thinking about 'me' and 'me things' and things that affect, uh, 'me.'

and WOW, i actually just figured out what you are talking about... as it turns out, i had actually forgotten the debacle of dartmouths failure to qualify for nationals... does this qualify for 'in your head'...

i'm going to say, 'yes', if sifting the blogosphere looking for my use of the word 'dump' counts as 'obsessed'

if you'll read timmy's post, i was actually questioning the wisdom of throwing the disc the wrong way, as mentioned in timmy's post. it was a little example of humor... it works on a number of levels... risky dump at stall nine, why dump in league play, etc...

it timmy's blog... you know. it's kind of equivalent to me saying, 'not THE joe durso'... although, if you continue down this road, could FATE make you, YOU the joe durso of frisbee?

as an aside, yes, i have been cut.

but... here's a thought...

how many college/club/national/world titles do you have? OK sounds like we're tied. part 2. the only upa prize for non-winning. how much FREE BEER have you gotten from the UPA/WFDF at said appearances? I suspect for you, that this thought will haunt you for years... i will, however be happy with 6 nationals and 3 worlds worth of beer gardens, and a couple of college nationals appearances, one w/ bottomless free crawfish boil... ah yes. if glory escaped me then, i'll always have the food... and the happiness of knowing that you are prowling the blogosphere, trying to decipher every cryptic one liner i post... and figure out how it relates to you...

i do suspect that this bitterness stems from the realization that if you'd just gone to georgia, you'd have been to nationals, and put 100,000 dollars in your pocket... now put that in a bank, compound annually at a modest 6%... and wow... (although even recently you would probably have been able to do much better in the market)

(flash forward to some years from now, a strangely wild eyed seigs sends me a picture of a medal, and an elaborate beer consumption spreadsheet)...

or alternatively, seigs starts stalking me at every podunk tournament, or alternatively moves west track me down, so that one day, he gets that magical 'd' on the dump, and explodes in a technicolor mist of joy... screaming... dump THAT dump THAT...

you got to understand, i'm a non subtle state school kid... if i want to give you a hard time, i'll just do it at my new blog...

www.seigschokeddartmouthschancesatnationalsaway.blogspot.com

9:49 AM  
Blogger Seigs said...

Thanks Luke, that's more the creativity I've come to expect from you.

My bad for assuming your comment related directly to the comment right above it...

Most of the rest of your diatribe is wrong...except for the part about how psyched I would be now to guard you sometime...

10:25 AM  
Blogger SethG said...

Go Steelers!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

seigs, first of all it's a retort. while long, it's not angry. now satirical, well, you might have me there...

i'm glad to know that you are NOT planning your career around the keg at champies... although, that's kind of letting down the TRUE spirit of keggy the keg, eh?

i'm also glad that while you are not planning on actively stalking me for life, you just might change your tournament schedule to give me my comuppance! give me a drubbin for my insolence! sweet. my very own nemesis! just be careful who you choose: a young whippersnapper like you should be trying to stir up a grudgematch w/ oscar or something... you just picked a fight w/ 'john salley'

but i'm glad to know i rate. i'll be available at a variety of tournaments including, but primarily limited to, 'the bend city league -- (2 time champ)' and 'sectionals' (average55 yds per throwing attempt)... i promise to work on being in top shape, so that perhaps, perhaps, i can warrant even a token hack!


and... i'm a little sorry about devoting that whole blog to the regionals debacle. in hindsight, i admit, that was cold... i'd had a few. i thought it was podcast night.

but, that was a pretty sweet url...

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home