Monday, May 07, 2007

More nothing

Last monday - 22 minute run
Tuesday - off
Wed - spring league game #4. This was not as good as last week. Several factors, first the weather. Colder. A little rainy, but not too bad. A sarasota like crosswind. No real upwind or downwind, but definite side advantages on the width of the field. In this case, the home side was "upwind" and therefore the power position with the disc. The away side was "downwind" aka the trap sideline. I have been trying not to talk strategy or get involved in team talking, instead letting the captain do her thing. But I did try to stress the importance of forcing away. As I said previously, we are really bad at marking a certain way.

Second, we had a frustrating start for us b/c we thought we were getting stuff to make our bike stroller/trailer a conversion kit. But long story short, it was not. So yeah, we had a little tent that looked like it could be a stroller if only it had wheels.

Third, all our men showed up. What I am now learning is we need ~3 guys NOT to show up for us to be at our fullest potential. Not necessarily a certain 3 guys, but just 3 guys in general. Just to keep the rotation of guys down.

Anyway, we showed up to the field just before gametime. I was a little behind as I had to carry the tent over to the field in an attempt to keep the little ones dry. We scored the first point of the game and I thought, maybe these guys weren't any good.

But they would score the next 3 points. I was struggling to get ready and keep the kids calmed down, so I really did not see much, but we were dropping a ton. I believe last week I also said we did not really drop ever. I guessed I jinxed us.

Anyway, I get to play, this was about the height up the wind. A huge crosswind and I was trying not to throw it to the away side. In the end, I ripped a very bad blade that was tipped near our goalline and caught by a layout. And then for a goal. For the next point, we were able to pin them on the corner of the endzone and they were not able to do much. We scored as I threw to our tall guy. It was tied up. I played a third point, but they scored as I got too greedy, poached off their best thrower, and he immediately threw a bomb for a goal. 3-4.

I played only 1 more point in that half as they ran the rest of half 3-7. Our huddle at halftime was pretty funny. I thought our captain said some pretty good things, but then a couple of the guys basically started saying other stuff, most of it the same. Pretty funny.

We scored the first point of half, I think as I threw it high to our tall guy. And then had a chance to score again, but after a TO we had a TO. [Incidentally, I did not even know we could use TOs in spring league and we used 2!]

At that point, the wind was dying a little bit, but was starting to rain harder. Not too bad, but I took our kids into the dugout next to the field. Well, I kept an eye on the field and the other team scored what I thought were like 2 goals, it turned out to be 4-12. Ugh, I finally asked if I could play again knowing it was close to the end. They played zone and after we traded several turns, we finally score, again a throw to the upwind side. 5-12. The next point was much quicker as we get a d and Tdub and I work a give-and-go-huck for a goal. 6-12. Another long sequence of turns ends with me throwing a break mark to Tdub for the goal. 7-12.

At this point, our team is getting very excited. I think someone yelled "Do you believe in miracles?" There is a rainbow on the other side of the fields. All the other games are done, people grab some beer and start to watch our game.

The reason we go on this mini-run is we have our most reliable players on the field during this span. It is not a tricky concept, so the ultimate when we were on offense was fun b/c I had at least 2 targets who were not going to do anything stupid with it.

Anyway, we go zone on this point. They had 2 good guys on their team. They both understand the wind concept (I think both are flycooners). Anyone the one guy throws deep to the second good guy, the taller one. An obvious, and smart, HnH strategy. We have a taller guy playing deep and there is definite contact, the o guy does not like and our guy was arguing that he was just running and the contact was incidental. As usual, contested foul back to the thrower. I was playing the weakside wing (in hope to either get a d if a throw hung or help out deep). At this point, they huck it again but throw it low so I can get it. I turn and look to throw to the home side, someone is open. As I throw it the second good taller guy from the other team attempts to layout d it. It was an impossible d (think Phil's gratoitous layout d picture back from 98 magnum). In this case, he hurts his elbow. This is the first time when I think, maybe we can win the game. With one of their 2 real good guys out, their advantage is negated. But it is still a game to 13, so chances are still pretty slim.

Well, 2 throws later one of our guys gets point blocked by their last good guy standing. I go to help deep, I get called off to help somewhere else. Goal. Game.

It was a more frustrating game, but still fun to beat the wind as a thrower. I am glad I am on this team because we have a couple guys that occasionally collide with the other team. At least this way, I know going into the situation who the most dangerous people are. We are 2-2, right in the middle of the pack. And we play a 3-1 team next week. We shall see how it goes, the weather at least is supposed to be much nicer.

Anyway, back to workouts-

Thurs- 25 minute run
Friday - off
Sat - 28 minute run (distance unsure, but 15 minute out, 13 minute in)
Sun - 14:15 minute run (roughly 2.5 miles, maybe a little less, I was fairly please b/c that means at least I was running 6 minutes miles and I felt pretty good)

Mon- probably going to run about 20 minutes ez and hopefully get up to go spinning tomorrow.


My only other news is I got my usual right hamstring strain in May again. This always happens when I start throwing more often. T and I are trying to throw a couple times a week. I tend, in some of these sessions, to really pivot way out. Basically, imaging an around the mark throw. Not worrying about anything else besides pivoting way out and throwing low. It definitely gets me a little more tired throwing and is as close as I can get to game throwing. Just means I have to do a little more stretching and maybe less running/more biking. That usually loosens this up after a month. Usually I go through tryouts not feeling quite right...

Go Pistons, wings and Tigers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home