Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Arguably the best rivalry in college ultimate will be played this Sunday for 1 spot to nationals. CUT v. Hodags in Iowa City. Only 1 bid from the Central Region. Very tough.

First, there is absolutely 0% that any other team will be in the finals. Unless a natural disaster hits Northfield or Madison within the next 3 days. I think Luther, Iowa St., Minnesota, Whitewater, etc. all have some good players and will be better in the future. None of them have a shot at playing for nationals. I am very comfortable saying this even though I have watched 60 minutes of college frisbee this year.

Second, is there a better rivalry in college? The way I understand it, they have hated each other since the early 90s. They have always been in the same region. The last year they did not play each other in the finals was 99. Besides the occasional Iowa team, these 2 have dominated the Central Region since the new regions in 99.

So who wins this game? It comes down to CUT's throwers v. Hodags' athletes (not to say CUT has no athletes and vice versea). But I do not think you can argue with the strengths of these 2 teams. CUT will break your mark and throw long in many ways with several talented throwers. Madison will beat you deep and under as well as d you.

The format favors Madison. They seem to have a deeper bench and seem to rely on guys who are able to replace one another. I believe they will have 3 games on Saturday and the finals will be the 3rd game on Sunday. The only time they face will be the 6th game of the weekend. CUT will have to have 3 or 4 of those games to be ez. If it is windy and they can play zone, that could easily be accomplished.

I think it helps CUT if weather becomes a factor. They can play more zone, probably get easier goals on D, and maybe people will play more zone against them. That way their main throwers can get more of a rest.

I do not know if Madison has a good zone, I am assuming they do with their ability to put athletes deep and on the wings. But when I look at their roster, it seems to me they will crush with a man to man d.

Madison has obviously had the better season. I heard rumors of a CUT injury or 2, but we scrimmaged them last weekend and their full squad looked healthy, fast, and ready to go.

If I were Madison, I would worry about slowing down the top 4 or 5 throwers. I don't think physical is the way to go, those guys were abuse physical marks by taking the free throw, etc.

If I were CUT, I would worry about Madison's ability to put it deep and high and not necessarily being able to do anything about it.

Madison is the favorite I believe (winning Centex, Terminus), but I do not think that means anything between these 2. Madison was the obvious favorite last year. A freak wrist injury and the next thing you know CUT has a big lead and takes the region. Hasn't CUT won regionals the last 3 years? That has got to mean something.

I anticipate the best college game of the year, so far. No region has these stakes. No region has the history between the teams. No region has the stud players of these 2 teams. I think all the other teams going to regionals are excited to watch this game.

I wish I could be there. The only thing I will predict is that both teams will be in the finals (the ez prediction). No way, will I attempt to predict the outcome.

4 Comments:

Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

D3 natties... Crazy. Where is it? Don't forget the intimidating iceholes of minnesota.


Greenstriper. Madison won in 02 in the stadium in Northfield.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Tarr said...

Flo, that's evil.

12:33 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Tarr/Flo:

I guess the Ho-Dags will have to put it in the tank against GOP to maintain their sunday advantage.

aj

9:40 AM  
Blogger Schmelz said...

low 60s with a good chance of rain and 10 to 20 mph winds for Sunday in Iowa City. Not as bad as last year but still could makes things interesting. Wish I could be there.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home