Tuesday, October 18, 2005

This is Fill Hoying's (a close friend, but we shall change his name to protect his innocence) personal What Games to Watch on Thursday packet.

First off, stay sober enough to get to the fields at 9:30 am on Thursday.

Second, Round 1. I will call this round the Haves v. the Have-Nots. Although including JB as a "have" takes a little getting used to. Anyway, basically it is the best regions (3 northwest teams + 1 southwest) v. the 2 worst regions (2 central + 2 south). Can there be an upset? Last year, there was Pike over Sockeye. But I do not believe the 3 over 1 is a common upset at nationals. At the very least, they should all be good games. I am hoping for at least 1 upset... Basically, no real have to see game. Just seek out the close ones.

Third, Round 2. Fill, you only have one choice this round. Never before in nationals history have 3 OT's (original Tuka's) been on the field at one time. NEVER. That is right, in the Sub Zero - Pike game, you have me, Mike Jaeger and Geoff (pronounced G-off) Buhl. This is history in the making, you will have to be there for that. Who cares about all the other 2-3 matchups? Dog-Chain? I am sure that will be blogged later. Condors-Dwide? Yawn. Truck-Ring? Boring. There is an interesting 1-4 match-up, Bravo-Potomac. Potomac has shown to be explosive at times this season. In summary, you will have to watch Zero-Pike.

(TUKA was the name of University of Michigan's Ultimate Frisbee team in fall 96/Spring 97. Named because of Tim Biakabatuka. And I believe it also stood for The UnKatchable Axe, a favorite throw of Brian Lane).

Fourth, Round 3. Fill, take your pick here. All the 1-2 games should be fun. Sockeye-Condors, if they win their regions they could have argued to be the #1 and #2 seeds. Ring-Bravo, remember the questionable game of 02. I do. Jam-Pike. Hopefully, they are playing to stay alive in the power pool. Furious-Dog. Seems like this game has been played a lot and it is usually a good one. 3-4's are always fun too. Find a comfy chair, and decide which is the most spectator friendly game.

There you go "Fill", I know all the players are mentally preparing themselves. I just want to make sure the ultimate fans are mentally prepared as well.

(I just learned that Hoying rhymes with Broering. I think that is kind of funny.)

---
Workout summary, since I have forgotten
Today - 10 x 50-70. felt good. One more track workout left. Legs are feeling quite good, I think.
Yesterday - off, but I challenged myself mentally by trying to read Jimmyp's q&a
Sun - practice, beautiful conditions
Sat - practice, again, nationals should have been in Minneapolis last weekend.
Fri - 2 miles, late at nite.
Thu - 2 sets of stairs and ran home (2 miles).

1 Comments:

Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

I will say that I will have less turnovers than Cardinals wild pitches/passed balls in a 6 game series... But that should not be too tough.

Unless I am overly sarcastic to my labmate (who spilled a lot of his material on the floor yesterday) and he kills me. Then I will have 0 turnovers. Same as Regionals 00!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home