Tuesday, October 11, 2005

What will seedings be? To me, you have to decide beforehand whether last year's results or head-to-head matchups at this year's tourneys are more important. And you can't seed just because you think another team is better.

I hate considering who on what team was there. Well, we were missing 4 starters in Boston, and 5 key guys in ECC.... Blah, if you are that concerned about it, do not go. If you are only playing to get seeding later, they make sure everyone goes. No whining if your non-starters lose. My first year as captain of Sub Zero, I felt like the list of results said stuff like 25% of our starters weren't, blah, blah, blah.

And the score reporter is awesome. The head-to-head section rules.

I think the top 3 are fairly obvious. You put the NW teams there. This is based on last year's results and this year's. The Condors could argue that they belong up there, but since they have to be behind Bravo, well, I do not think you can bring Bravo into the top 3 (2-5 against the top 3). So that gives us #1 Furious, #2 Jam, #3 Sockeye.

4-9 gets very sticky. If you go on last year's results, you go Ring, Pike, Bravo, Dog, Condors, Chain. Ring gets vaulted up since they beat a semis team from last year. Although they both lost to the same team, so you really can't say that Pike was better than Ring last year. Or is Dog over Bravo? I forget who won the 5th place game. Does it matter? Should consolation games even count? Condors were not in the 5th place game, or what happened there? I forget. I do not think Pike will be 5. Most likely Ring/Bravo.

If you go with this year's reults, well then we go Bravo, Ring, Condors, Dog/Pike, Chain. Bravo gets vaulted up b/c of the Condors success and the fact they beat Ring. Ring beat the Condors, although Condors finished better in the tournament (but that reason did not work at last week central regionals!). This seeding looks better to me. I like going on the results during the year.

I am not sure who to give the nod to Dog or Pike? Dog did beat them last time they played at Easterns, way back in June. They both lost to Ring at Ches., so that basically means they can be considered equal there. Also, if you put Pike over Dog, then you could argue Chain over Dog. And I just do not want to go there right now. Could Dog be the 9th seed? Would the UPA allow this? Lastly, we will probably be the 10th seed, so I will be as indecisive as possible about the 7th seed. All those teams look good, could be the best 7th seeds ever.

That looks very tough to seed. More so then the past couple of years. What is this, the NFL?

I think we are 10. Based on everything. I guess if you take last year's results first, Double is 10 and we are 11. But we beat Double and have finished higher then them at all tourneys this year. I do not think we have argument against Chain, since they have had our # the last 2 seasons.

11-13 is also weird. Truck-11, Double-12, Potomac-13, if you go by last year. If you go by this year, I guess you go Double-11, Potomac-12, Truck-13. Although Double + Potomac have not played this year. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

14-16 are ez, I think. Metal, Vicious, PBR. PBR has no wins against anyone at natties. Vicious' only win was against PBR. Metal has had an overall better season, it appears.

Basically, what is more important?

I think it goes, Monkey, Jam, Fish, JB, Ring, Birds, Pike/Dog, Chain, Us, Dwide, Potomac, Truck, Metal, VC, Beer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

Condors and Ring both forfeited their 5th place semi games, automatically putting Bravo & DoG in the 5th finals.

7:37 AM  
Blogger parinella said...

One problem I have with using head-to-head as a very important criterion is that often those games are played at elite power tournaments, and you play 7 games against Nationals contenders in two days. I prefer considering the team's placement over any individual head-to-head result (and this was before we lost last-round pool play games at both CC and Labor Day to Kaos and Doublewide, respectively, after we had clinched finals and semi-finals berths, respectively).

For Open, I would weight last year at something like 40-50% (and "last year" is a combination of the individual team and the same regional finisher), this year's late summer/fall at about 30%, this year's earlier tournaments at about 15%, and leave 10% for "class participation." Heck, why not make "Web presence" mandatory? That is why Ring ended up 5th.

For Mixed and College, I'd weight last year as less important because of the rapid turnover.

7:22 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Jim:

So how do you seed Pike/DoG?

9:15 AM  
Blogger parinella said...

Pike/DoG is pretty close, practically a tossup. I think I recommended putting us higher, primarily because it's my team. Usually I would have said that Pike's last year semis appearance puts them ahead, but a) it was a format-assisted route (for one, they played the same schedule as Sockeye, had a worse record, yet finished ahead of them in the power pool), and b) they lost in Regionals to Potomac. I'd put us very slightly ahead based on this year's results, as the win at Easterns was a more important tournament (that also happened later in the year, although still not late enough (late June) that it should carry a ton of weight). But they did a little better at Chesapeake, even if we both got knocked out by Ring (us badly). I don't remember exactly how Pike did at ECC, but to my mind it was just a little worse than we did at Labor Day against about the same competition.

But like I said, it's awfully close, and my near-algorithm isn't sophisticated enough to elevate one over the other.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home