Monday, October 10, 2005

4-0.

That was our goal going into Regionals and we did it. It was a cool and fun weekend. T + I did nt leave Minneapolis until ~7. After 320 miles, we pulled in sometime around 12:30. Back up by 6:30. I ran the captain's meeting as acting RC (I did a poor job acting as RC all weekend). And games started at 9. There were 15 teams, as the #2 seed we were in the pool of 3. Our games to 17, all other pools had games to 15. Plus we had a bye. Advantage us. I thought there would be more arguments about the other pools to 15. But no one said a word.

Anyway, we start w/ the 9 seed. Dingwop, the 3rd team from our section from the Twin Cities and Duluth. 17-2. Not much exciting here. Just clobbered them.

Then we have a bye. Watch some Bait ultimate. Watch some co-ed. No real interesting games in the open division at this time. I do not know about other regions, but there aren't enough good teams to ever make the 2-3 round that exciting.

After the bye, we play intelligent design, mainly u-kansas guys. They like to huck forehands. And if that does not work, they will huck their forehands. Well, we shut that down, most of the time. 17-6. Eddie gets the first ever birthday callahan (a callahan on his birthday). That was fun. Another humorous point was Kyle being guarded by someone slower and more tired than him. Our team yelling from the sideline "Kyle, he is exhausted, you are open!" Repeatedly. Eventually a throw a little behind him and the very tired defender gets a layout d. I think he had to feel good about that.

Well, we win the pool 2-0 and now have Chicago in the semis. We had split with them during the year, 1-1, so we knew it was going to be a good game. Our offense came out and laid an egg. Just played horrible, a couple bad drops along with some really bad throws. I believe they were broken 4 times (maybe 3). Luckily, the defense played well after a poor first point. The D breaks them 1 more time (either 5 or 4). We are up 8-7 at half. Including the d point to take half where we used both of our timeouts setting up a RC to RG scoring play. The first half was very sloppy by both teams. The game was slightly upwind-downwind with a crosswind. Very Sarasota-ish, although not as bad.

The second half is completely different, both O's find a rhythm. We score to make it 9-7. And then trade points, we win 14-12. Our O turned it 2 times (maybe 3?) and got them all back. While our d forced I think 6 turns and never on converted 0. Including 2 on the goalline (one was floater to me that Mercer got and fouled the shit out of his teammate, a very smart play by him). I added to the turns on the d side by throwing into an obvious poach as well as getting beat back to the disc once. Ugh.

The defense played well all game, just when we got the turn in the second half. Bad. We just looked out of sync and moving too fast on O. We had several chances to go up 3 and missed them. Frustrating, but the O played awesome in the 2nd half. That was huge.

On O, I was on the field for the 2 turns. The first one my man gets the disc, fakes forehand, picks up pivot foot, resets pivot foot, throws a deep backhand, then hits me in the face. He calls foul and I call travel at the same time (after I got hit in the fact, so technically a late call). I have no idea about the throw, until I see the guy catching in the endzone. Needless to say, they were not pleased with my call. He did NOT travel on the throw. He DID travel on the pivot, but I could not call it for another second due to the slap I received. Eventually, we get the disc back and score.

At 12-11, we turned it over. They were marching up the field, but I foot blocked a Tyson forehand and then I scored the goal a couple throws later. That felt good.

At 13-12, I get a comeback cut and AB has his man beat by 5 yards. Successful deep forehand for the game, 14-12, rematch with Truck in the final (Truck was up 10-1 as half their team starts watching out semi). Sweet.

Saturday nite was nothing exciting, people staying in various hotels and towns so nothing team oriented. I just sat around, had room service, watch LT roll around and the Cardinals crush the Padres. Pujols for MVP!

Sunday, we do not play until 1:20. It felt like I was a pro athlete or something. Where is my personal trainer? Bait was playing in the finals at 11, so we get to the fields at 10:30, just in time to blow the cap horn. On the open side, Madison-Chicago and Madcow-Jawbone are still alive. So possibly some interesting games. Bait starts out fast, but a much bigger run by Mojo gets them the lead. It is very frustrating for me to watch a team that I root for losing before I play. So I go and start to warm up and watch a little of the open. Jawbone is up a break or 2 in their game (again the wind is the same factor as Saturday, upwind-downwind with a definite crosswind). In the Madison-Machine game, Madison eventually opens up a 10-5? lead. Very surprsing. Madison somehow holds onto win 14-12 and Jawbone beats Madcow by a couple. So Madison-Jawbone in the game-to-go-to-the-game-to-go.

Finally, it is time for our game. We start out on d, force a turn on their goalline, but a dropped disc gives it right back. 0-1 Truck. We tie it up. And then break twice. We get the d and Goldstein to RG for the score. We get 2 ds in the next point (the second one was a nice drop by Haley), followed by Chaz hitting Shane for the 3-1 lead. Our O played awesome in this game. Both teams trade points until 7-5 (our O only turns it over once all half and Winey gets that back with a point block). We get the d, eventually I get the disc on the break force side and hit Shane going deep to take half 8-5. Our O was perfect 5-5 and the d forced at least 5 turns. Dan, Jello, and Puhl played really well for them.

The second half sees more of the same for our O, we receive to go 9-5. The d's O becomes a little frustrated again as we can't convert and Truck sticks around, 11-7. Then the floodgates open. After 2 turns by both teams, we force another turn. TO. Our play is shut down, but they poach a lot on the open side. I throw a high stall blade from one sideline to another that somehow is caught by Kyle, 12-7. Again, we force 2 turns. On the second one, Shane busts and is alone in the endzone as I send an ez backhand 13-7. Cap on, game to 15 no matter what. They score 13-8, we answer right back 14-8 and end the game with a beautiful throw from Paco to Q, 2 passes later, a goal. 15-8. Regional champs. Finally, we beat those guys in the finals.

The O, I think, only turned it over once in the finals. Maybe twice. I have a lot of respect for the Truck D, so I was psyched about that. I think the O was really nervous against Machine for some reason, but the last 3 halves, they were 14-14. That was huge. The D was solid all weekend making other teams work. Obviously our conversion %age can improve, but there were not many ez wide open goals.

I am looking forward to Sarasota, should be fun. I need to look for flights!

ps Truck wins like 15-3 in the game to go. I only saw the first point, >13 turnovers (that is serious).

pss Bait beats Nemesis in the game to go.

2 Comments:

Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

About the travel, it would not have been a turn as a fouled was called as well. Although I am not sure when my face hit him, the disc would have come back. So would've it had been as good of a throw without my face?

I am going out on a limb and say that guy (I forget his name) is *slightly* better than his brother. I like X and all, but...

I could not believe you guys were down 10-5. And then when you stormed back, I thought everything was normal again.

Madison is good, they had us pulling to them 12-12. But not deep (as seen in the jawbone game).

Lose. I don't lose. I win. That's my job. That's what I do. Top 10 quote.

Am I correct?

3:10 PM  
Blogger A-Wine44 said...

Eddie's callahan was nice. He's got to get many more to catch the likes of me and seth g.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home