Friday, September 30, 2005

Sectionals Part II - the Minnesota years.

2001 - sectionals in Milwaukee, I skip Sat to work. Drive down w/ Ryder + TO (Ryder, shouldn't we stop for gas. Christ, you're worse then my wife.) Wake up Sunday, crappy weather, very cold and rainy. Our semi-final team is not at the fields, a hungover Madison has to play Swank while we stay warm and dry. We play Madison in the finals, win by like 5. Nothing too memorable besides Masulis calling a foul and Kubalanza yelling "It is conceivable for you to get d'd". Or Dusty repeatedly lining up on Lonsdorf.

2002 - sectionals in Blaine. This was right in the middle of our turmoil, but we were just too talented at this tournament to lose. Madison was solid, just too young. I do not remember much besides the obscene # of Callahans we got that weekend. Eric, Winey, DK, and Seth G. Fun stuff.

2003 - sectionals in Blaine, the reloading begins. Nothing spectacular, we have a pretty decent lead on Madison 3-4 goals w/ significant portion of our team either injured or gone. Kaiser breaks his wrist diving for a disc, we collapse (incidentally, Kaiser 2003 was pretty unstoppable and was the biggest loss for us. The O never recovered). Their z had some success, I remember cutting underneath as Reed floats a deep huck out there for me to get. Ummmmm, not much else, probably blocked out of my memory. Oh yeah, the old Zero vets chuckling at us for not winning.

2004 - sectionals in St. Cloud. Only 7 teams b/c stolaf decides to have their exit 68 tourney that weekend. We play Madison the last game on Saturday. We get up 8-4 on some nice grabs by jakob + boardman. Of course, we start to collapse. Up 10-7, they tie it 10-10, Naz hucks it to someone for the 11-10 W. Then the rematch on Sunday, almost the same thing. Maybe only like 8-5 or 6. They storm back, at some point Charlie (ex-Madison) yells "Cheat to win Madison, cheat to win." Again, tied at gamepoint. Heijman gets a huge d in the endzone on me. They turn it again. I throw a high stall blade in TO's direction that is d, they eventually score and win sectionals. Ugh. We play Winnipeg in the game to go to regionals (We officially only had 2 bids). Anyway, game is ugly and some bickering between teams that escalates when Shane bumps into one of their guys. The guy is whining, I tell him to shut up, they turn it over, then they start heckling me "Throw the hammer again Tim" or "You are so clutch Tim, throw your hammer". Anyway, I get the disc again, hammer opens up, I throw, we score, I respond w/ "There's your f****n hammer" Later, someone comes and apologizes to me and says "Sorry, I am an asshole", I respond with "I know". We win.

2005 - already discussed, thoughts on the Madison game on Sunday. Well, showing up late for me did not help. Thought I forced a d laying out by Gigo, but foul was called on me. Not sure if any contact, more disappointed that the d got erased. I do not go "horizontal" on "defense" very often. Goldstein + RC were huge on D, their attitude rules. Big d's in the finals against the woppers.

There you go, 10 years of sectionals, 7 out of 10 sectional championships baby!!!! Incidentally, I believe my tourney victory total is 40.

I hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane, coming soon, 10 years of regionals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home