Thursday, September 22, 2005

When is the proper time to use timeouts?

I am sure this has been discussed before, but should they be used as momentum stoppers or strategic discussions? Or both? I prefer to use timeouts only for strategic discussions, for example near the endzone, before a d point to set up a d, or near the end(hopefully) of a 12 turnover point.

Many people believe in the momentum stopping timeout. I personally feel that ultimate already has momentum stopping: the time in between pulls. Although I do agree that the walk from one endzone line to the other after getting scored can be fun to watch (if you are on the team that just scored), if anything that should be enough time to regroup and play hard again. Unlike basketball, where the team has 5 seconds to in bound the ball, your team has 90 seconds without any d around you and to set up a play. [Incidentally, I although I hated the bulls + I hate Phil Jackson, I do like his no timeout policy during the season unless it gets brutal. I love how he allows his team to get out of these situation by themselves. But that is the only thing I like about him.]

Now, once you give up 2 points in a row on O, what do you do then? (The dreaded 3 point run). This is the usual place for the timeout. This allows everyone calm their nerves. Get the psyche back up. Then what, send the same 7 or a similiar group of guys that has just been scored on twice?!?!? Here is where I say skip the timeout and put your d team in.

We have many examples of this on Sub Zero, but last weekend at sectionals Madison starting out scoring twice in a row on our o (after I was praising them for tune up no less). Although I would not have complained if we had taken a timeout, we decided just to put the d team in, let the o regroup while the d team scores. To me, this works for a couple of reasons.

1. It gets the players who have been unsuccessful on the field off the field. They can get some water, talk to one another, etc. They do not have to focus on playing immediately, rather they can focus on correcting the problem(s).

2. It gets the d back on the field. In 2003, we had a pretty good d team. We struggled more on O. There were some long runs against the O where the D would just stand on the sideline and watch. Not good. This takes the d's mo away. Also, starts to make it seem like 2 different teams. And 1 team (the o) can lose the game, while the other team (the d) just watches. In 2004, I felt this helped us out a lot and did not allow our opponents very many long runs against us. Standing around watching the o get scored on is a way to start the blame game and cause some anger between the 2 squads.

3. Your d should be able to score on a consistent basis. I know, most d teams do not play o as well as o teams, blah. But if they are being pulled to, the players on the d team still should be solid enough to play o. Trust me, we have had some of the youngest teams at natties the past 2 years and it works.

4. This saves your timeouts for when you have the disc and you need to get organized. I personally like it when we are flowing from normal offense to the endzone. It gives everyone a drink of water and allows us to know what everyone else is doing in our o. If everyone is on the same page, it should be easier to score.

Now we get into the post season and we get 2 timeouts per half. That seems like a ton compared to tune-up and sectionals. I usually abuse this. Some people hate it, but I feel we have high success rate coming out of timeouts. Am I wrong?

2 Comments:

Blogger Schmelz said...

You know why people take timeouts, Timmy? Cuz they're f***in scared.

9:52 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Schmenalze- unfortunately I did not get to grow up in the system of Stolaf 03 with all the powerful guns where to's weren't necessary.

DDT- a couple of points.

1. I feel you underestimate being tired on O. This leads to poor throws, poor decisions, and/or poor catches. If you have your breath, it should not matter b/c as you said the O always has the step.

2. Even with a change of d, the o still has the advantage. Personally, I feel like the guy with the disc who called the to usually is cool-headed enough not to force anything. Now college ultimate, well you can get the thrower to do almost anything...

3. Getting everyone on the same page. Most commonly I call the to's early in the count when I see either a lot of backs or a lot of cuts. Make sure everyone is on the same page. If there is nothing or chaos, then I feel the d is at a huge disadvantage.

4. The o v. d. is a good point. Do you want the D with the hero complex "we have to do everything" or the blame complex "the o always fs up our lead". The O should know when they are struggling and take the extended break to relax, talk to one another. (An important point of this is the O has to know that if you do not score in 2 points they will get pulled).

In a timeout, do you just address the O? I mean, the D has not necessarily done anything wrong yet. There was a momentum stopping timeout one time after the same guy had 3 turns in 2 points (bad drops and throws). The captain began to address the team while the other captain said, well actually everyone is playing fine it is player x that has killed us...

I do understand the timeout, just do not like. I like getting the d in there to score and get some mo' for the next break

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home