Saturday, June 30, 2007

Infection

So we missed our first practice this week. I think we had a good excuse as our daughter got a foot infection. Now, we don't really know when or how it happened. What we do know is a. we have a cat and b. there are marks on LT's foot that look remarkably like cat bite marks.

After our usual routine on Thursday morning, I went to work. I come almost everyday for lunch and so I called beforehand. After not getting an answer at home, I called our cell. And a "where are you guys?" was answered with "Convienent Care". What? In the mid-morning as they were going outside, T noticed LT's foot was swollen, a trip to CC, then to the drug store to get the antibiotics. Anyway, she appears to be fine now. Never did she get a fever (really, she was never in a bad mood). She had a little bit of a limp yesterday but today the swelling had gone down and there was never any spreading.

So yeah, that was fun. It does not help that I am really paranoid about random infections like that. I have had 2 of them. Soph year in high school during cross country at "Semi-state" (the 3rd of 4 levels of the Indiana state tourney process) was my first. A half mile into the race, there is a sharp lefthand turn. This was on a course that we ran 3 or 4 times a year, so I positioned myself on the inside. Unfortunately, the guy next to me wanted to get inside or something as well. He planted on my right foot w/ 5/8" spikes. And he turned while still in there.

I have been spiked many times, my first thought was it would not be so bad. Well, the first step was very painful. And the second one sent a sharp pain up my leg. I was done. Ugh. I remembering struggling to walk back and not being very happy. Plenty of time waiting in the er after. They sew it up with some advice "It is probably going to get infected, so see your doctor soon". Anyway, it did get infected I was on crutches for 6 weeks. But they did not cut me from bball, probably sympathy.

The second was in the spring of 2000. It was the year I started grad school, I got in during the "winter" semester at Michigan and I was working full time at a local chem place. Near finals, there was plenty of stuff going on at work and at school and of course with ultimate. Our last weekend before regionals, we had 2 practices. Nothing out of the ordinary, one small cut below my left knee. But anyone who has played ultimate has had the same thing happen to them, I am sure.

Anyway, I went to bed Sunday nite with a sore left knee. I have "Pre-patellar bursitis" (aka "Housemaid's knee). So my left knee is always a little bigger than my right knee. And if I land on it wrong, it call flare up. When I went to bed, I just assumed that I landed wrong at some point.

That nite I did not sleep well and when I got up to go to work, I stepped out of bed on my left leg. And proceeded to fall over. I had stayed at T's that nite and she asked "are you ok?" To that, I replied "I can't walk". My temp turned out to be 103. So yeah, another ER trip. This time was the fastest to get seen. Immediately taken back and put an IV in. The fever goes up a little and the first 24 hours absolutely sucked. IV's + painkillers on a continual drip.

Tuesday was much better, my fever came down considerably and the pain was pretty much gone. It was a staph infection, but no one really understood how it happened. I did have that cut. And we did practice next to the Huron River (not the cleanest river), but the docs really thought that should not happen. But it did. I stayed into the hospital until Saturday. Which was the start of regionals at Purdon't. I did have thoughts of driving down there that nite, but I had to inject myself with antibiotics. And after each injection, I pretty much was shot for an hour or 2. I imagine kind of like a druggie, only not so good.

After qualifying for natties, I was still on the IV drugs for ~2 weeks. Basically, did nothing for those 2 weeks because I had to give myslef drugs every 6 hours. And I was knocked afterwards for some time afterwards.

I got my knee checked out at Medsport, they told me not to play at nationals in 10 days. I asked the pt, who also played frisbee, what I should do. After telling me the best thing for my knee was to take another month or 2 off, she told me she would play at nationals if it were her.

So I did, I was horribly out of shape, although I got an appreciation for watching baseball back. I hyper-extended my other knee 3 times on the weekend. We lost to Salisbury Steak in the first round, beat UCSC, and lost to Colorado. Of course, the steak lost to sc and so we were done from the prequarters due to point diff. And we finished 9th. Good times. My knee, I feel, I are still pretty fragile, so anytime I mention that, this is what I mean.

Recent frisbee stuff-
the flycoons aka spangled finished 2nd at the calgary tourney. Losing to Edmonton again

Workouts-
Sat - 2 sets of 5/5/5s, I think. The hard 5 minutes was at 6 minute mile pace.
Sun - 10 200s (2 sets of 3, last set was 4) all 33, one was 34. Felt pretty good.
Mon- 40 minutes on the exercise bike
Tue - 2 x 100/150/200/200/150/100 (200s at 32/33, 150 23/24, 100 13)
Wed - nothing, just a long day or something
Thu - 25/30 ez run
Fri - nothing again, too tired
Today - I have not yet decided but something soon.

Also, the new VW ads have all songs off the new wilco album. Sweet. I still need toget the album yet. Maybe it comes with a car. Hmmmm.

7 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

1) ouch. ouch. and ouch.
2) 3/8 spikes only in OR
3) i couldn't help but think of 28 days later
day one infection
day 5 injection
28 days later SALISBURY STEAK
4) good frisbee workouts, though...

10:31 AM  
Blogger supertaster said...

more on that intense 9/10 game at nationals. that was a doozy.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Purdon't indeed. I'm just fine spending but one weekend out in the middle of nowhere.

But no mention of one of most dramatic comebacks in Regionals history I am sure. Down 14-10 to Dayton with Nationals on the line. No Timmy. How did Magnum pull that out?

10:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Timmy, what's your current email address? I was curious if you're going to the co-ed tournament here in Boulder later this month.

-Aaron Bongard

10:52 AM  
Blogger dar. said...

tim,

where did you run in high school? i ran at greensburg HS from 90-93. pretty good team when i was there (our top 5 all ran under 15:30 my junior year - i was 6-7 man.) just wondering if we ever ran against each other in high school.

12:34 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Aron-> No go on Colorado coed, the next tourney i go to will be Ecc/Spawfest in Seattle. Colorado is a bit further for us, I believe. And the new e-mail is timmy930 at gmail dot com. I tried to send you an e-mail before pdays, but the one i had for you bounced.

Nate -> 9/10 game at natties, all i remember was showing up 10 minutes before the game. And beating you guys there by 15 minutes.

Oh and the P-P-P-P-Philllll, stuff. That was funny.

Dar-> South Bend St. Joe, CC would have been 91-94. Sort of varsity in 91, eventually was the 7th man by the end of the year. 92-94 I was 2/3 on the team, not nearly 15:30 for me. Most of my times were near +/- 17:00.

I dont remember running greensburg, but we were at Culver, New Prairie and Manchester. Those were the 3 big invitationals. I loved Culver, definitely my fastest time (and spiking incident) there.

We had one really good guy (4:10-4:15 miler) and the rest of us were average.

Word.

10:00 AM  
Blogger pfil said...

timmy: liz just did a surgery on a guy that had compartment syndrome in his arm. that happened to skow at the same practice. talk about some bad juju.

aaron: i remember standing on the line down 14-10 and asking my teammates which one of them wanted to call timmy and tell him we didn't make nationals. dayton only had one shot into the end zone to win the game and their two guys d'd each other.

nate: ahh, the ninth place game. bruss still greets me with puh-puh-puh-puh-fil. i think my dad said it the best when he said "that field smelled like a urinal".

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home