Saturday, May 27, 2006

Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to say I lost to the national champs.

After our first round of cuts, we had 1 practice and then the madison kids came up to Minneapolis for 2 games to 15 on Saturday. Our roster at the moment is in the 30s. But that includes 3 guys on the current hodags roster. At the actual scrimmage for us were 28 healthy guys (and a couple not so healthy).

The hopunks would win both games. The first somewhat easily 15-10, running away with it after we traded points almost the whole first half to 8-7. I think they went on a 3-0 run to start the 2nd half. The 2nd game was a little closer, 15-12. But another short run in the middle saw us unable to claw back.

This was the first time I felt like I was really running at game speed all year. It felt really good to challenge and be challenged. The 5 or 6 throwing turns I had did not feel good. Including an absolutely awful hammer upwind, getting foot blocked by Heijman, and an interesting backhand. The legs feel good, the throwing, ummm, not as good.

It is an interesting thing to take 28 guys and try to sub them equally. And actually, you try to sub in the bottom 10 or 12 more frequently. In our case, we were obviously using this to see how the tryouts would perform against a good team, fast, with throws, and they play well together. It was fun to watch them at times and frustrating to watch us. Of course, every line we put out there was relatively new.

Anyone who has ever played on a team where I have been involved in subbing knows you have to make a play or 2 early to stay out there (esp. if you are low in the rotation). Well, here I felt like I had to keep putting the same guys out there. Even if they weren't getting ds or getting open. And even though there were really good players on the bench sitting there making fun of q tip.

Oh, and easily the only time I have played the least # of points since my first tournament. That was in the first game. The 2nd game, I called my # more often.

Mix in all the new guys playing plus a bunch of rust from the old guys, it got ugly at times, especially when we received the pull. I will admit to making the o line better in the 2nd game by getting more vets p.t. then. That is why we kept it sooo much closer in the 2nd game.

We have scrimmaged cut every year since 02. This was the first year we every took on Madison. This mad-town team is impressively deep and fast. I can understand why they are rolling over everyone.

But back to tryouts, the weather was great out today. In the 80s probably for the first time all year. We are in a lull b/c we are about to make our next round of cuts on Wed. It should be interested. Basically, taking what was once a 38 man tryout roster. Down to ~30 or so. We have no real set #, but it will be interesting to see what happens when the 4 of us sit down and discuss players. Plus, there is potential for some new hodags to be trying out....

Basically, these next couple of days will be "fun" from a leadership standpoint. As I said, the first round of cuts are usually easier b/c there are so many there you do not get an attachment to certain players. The 2nd round is much harder. Everyone there is working their butt off. Who knows, maybe we will have a 40 man roster this year.

Workouts- 6 days in a row last week, although I missed track workout and Wed. practice. The first time this year with 6 days, the legs are feeling pretty good. We did stairs on Thursday and definitely the best I felt on Friday afterwards. Hopefully, that will be able to put me in decent shape for Boston. Twice, I did 25 minute runs, so still nothing long endurance wise. Endurance, I am not too worried about. That pretty much takes care of itself for me. The quickness is what takes a couple months to get back.

Predictions- Hodags over Florida 15-11, Pistons in 7 (currently down 1-2) Prince goes wild in game 4, Tigers beat the Cardinals in 6 games in the world series. Curtis Granderson MVP.

1 Comments:

Blogger jsa said...

that tigers-cardinals prediction is looking pretty damn prescient right now... sticking to D.Rock.City in 6? Granderson still MVP?

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home