Wednesday, September 14, 2005

When is a stall really a stall?

Rarely ever. I think this is easily the most contested call in ultimate. We had quite the arguement on our hands this weekend in Chicago in the finals. The situation, similar to most, was the old "I said 10 before you threw it" "no you didn't". Except the marker wouldn't drop it for 5 minutes. A very long discussion. Discussion is not the correct word, one guy was screaming while the other was sarcastic as hell (funny, but I was on his team). A lot of names called. And yes the marker did say "Can I get some $%!*in spirit".

Like most stall counts, it was fast. I have no idea how he got to 10. I was close to Shane when he caught it, moved in, faked dump, went up line. 10. At the very least, Shane could contest it on that grounds. I do not think this was his argument. Shane's argument was he released the disc before 10. Kyle was open downfield maybe for a score.

And then it was the classic "stall910" right after the check. Shane makes the same throw and Kyle again catches it. There is absolutely no way that it took 2 seconds. The marker was again furious, but not as furious.

Third time, same exact situation except no completion finally a turnover.

Not only is this the most contested stall, but it is also the most "I can't believe you are contesting it" call. I think, most all stall counts, are fast. Not many people say stall or stalling in between numbers, so usually they will speed up. And also 8,9,10. The excitement is there. I am going to stall this chump...

Anyway, I can only think of 2 lay downs/no discussions of stalls in games. My personal favorite was in 99 natties when Studarus stalls Greff (condors-dog) in finals on the goalline. Greff puts down the disc and takes off as Studarus busts deep. Once James gets to the goalline, he then walks, slowly, all the way back to the other goalline to pick up the disc. Good stuff.


Workouts -Monday - day off breaking my cardinal rule of never take a day off after a tourney. Tuesday- 3 1/2 sets of 4 x (50-100). 2 minutes between each set. 1 minute between each mini set of 50/100 and 15 seconds between 50 and 100. Good stuff. A little slower b/c legs were still sore. But overall pretty good. I also ran home after work to help the kinks out.

4 Comments:

Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

I remember that. Ahhhh, 99 college nationals. How about, "Timmy, look who is guarding me?"

Or how I should have had a Callahan goal our first d point, but Callahan goals still were not legal.

Or Kevin...

What happened after your pool win? I did not get to hang out much afterwards.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Tarr said...

I've never understood why more people don't call fast count regularly. This is one of the few calls an offensive player can make without stopping the flow. I almost never have an opponent who argues that their count was not fast (since most are aware on some level that it is), and the few times I have had a double fast count violation argument, they've been a whole lot more pleasant than the average stall-contest argument. There's less at stake when it's stall 0 vs. stall 6 as oppose to stall 8 vs. turnover.

9:51 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

No one ever complains about being called for a "fast count". But once they get ten out there, then they will always argue.

The only team that I ever really saw use fast count on a regular basis was Brown in 99ish. I feel like they really called it a lot (I am not calling them cheaters, but probably smarter then the rest of us).

2:19 PM  
Blogger Tarr said...

In 1999, we had intensive drills to build stall count accuracy.

I dunno, maybe it's just the way I think, but for me it's always been really obvious whenever someone fast counts.

Pfil, was 88 the same guy who made the really terrible call against you guys at Colorado cup?

I was kidding about the drills. Jesus.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home