Monday, September 10, 2007

App St and Oregon are REALLY good at football (aka Go Lions!)

Unfortunately, that has been more in the lab than on the track/field/road/etc. I feel I have 2 phases in my post-doc experience, one is "Oh #$%^, I am still a contract worker, I need to work harder" and "$%^& it, if they aren't offering me a full time gig, well I am not doing overtime". Currently, I am in the former. And I am a little tired. I have still found time to workout, but not as much as I would like with Sectionals approaching.

Yeah, Sectionals is next week! I am excited for the fall series. I am a UPA member again (the $$ is not worth the magazine if I am not playing in the fall. Too much misinformation about the recaps, but that is a different story). Of course, instead of lining up strategy stuff and playing time considerations, I am arrainging babysitters and places to crash on Saturday nite, so we can stay up in the big city.

I don't know if we are in the largest section ever, but it has to be close. The "Northwoods" was Minn, Wisc, and whatever Candian province is North of Minnesota, forgive me with my lack of Canadian province knowledge (I can find it on a map though). But this section is Montana, Idaho, Utah, and whatever Canadian province is North of Montana (See previous comment in parenthesis). Anyway, that is BIG. 11 teams, which is pretty impressive for this section. There seems to be one other serious contender in the section, Golden SPike from Salt Lake City. We played them in Bozeman and won, they were pretty good and they had an ok performance at Labor Day. Assuming all goes well, we will play them Sunday for the finals.

I love the thought of just one game on a day. It makes it seem like frisbee is a real professional sport and not just some random endurance match over a weekend. One game days rule and are very weird too (well, if we lose we have to play more, so I guess I am hoping we win). I was talking about this with Jaegs in Seattle after their Buzz Bullets game on the Thursday before ECCfest. Just a strange experience, but usually a good feeling b/c if you only have one game on the day, it usually means Finals. Finals = Fun.

Oh, random Jaeger story since at least 2 people asked for it in Seattle. Halloween tourney in OU either 97 or 98. Most likely 98, anyway we are playing OSU last game of the day. This tourney is just a fun one day tourney where you go down, play frisbee all day and then party all nite. Good time. Everyone wears costumes, not the most serious of tourneys. Well, we are up on OSU pretty big and Jaegs decides he wants to throw his reverse thumber for the score, I think that is self explanatory. THe play call is this, Jaegs, Jefff, and Reiskin will 3-man it up near the endzone. I will sit in the stack and wait for the signal. When Jaegs is happy with the positioning (~15 yards out from the endzone, middle of the field), he will travel on purpose so as to stop the disc. And that will be the sign for me to be ready for the cut (to the backhand front cone).

So they work it up the field, I am sitting and waiting. Jaegs gets it in perfect condition and then starts running with the disc to the sideline yelling "Look at me, I am travelling". --Really funny to watch--- Travel call. Jaegs walks back. Disc checked in. He turns to the dump and then throws a perfect strike of a thumber (while facing the wrong way) to the backhand cone. Goal. Good times.

Maybe not the most spirited during a really game, but during a Halloween tourney, perfect.

Anyway, quick recap of harder workouts:

~25 minute jog with 1 mile on the track of accelerate the straightaways, jog the turns.
8 x (50/100), 30 seconds between reps, 2 minutes between sets
(50/50/60/60/70/70/80/80/90/90/100/100) and then back down. Start the watch, each minute you should be starting a sprint, meaning at 0, your first sprint, at 1 minute your second sprint.....
10x(60/90), same concept as above, start the watch, every minute you should be starting your sprint. Oh yeah, all sprints at the same starting line. Hard on the 90s, especially later in the workout.
1 x 400, 4 x 200. I ran the 400 in 71/72, 3 of the 200s at 31 and the last at 29. I was pretty happy with the times. I did this with ample rest, meaning after each spring, I waited until I felt ready to go.

The 100s I have been happy with too, 12s whichi is pretty good for me.

Anyway, too much for now. I am tired and need to rest up for the big weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Twine said...

I don't get your workout . . . 8 sets of (50/50/60/60/70/70/80/80/90/90/100/100), so 96 sprints?
Then did you do the 10x(60/90), followed by 1x400 and 4x200?
bt

4:09 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Sorry for the confusion:

Workout 1:
8 x (50/100), 30 seconds between reps, 2 minutes between sets

Workout 2:

(50/50/60/60/70/70/80/80/90/90/100/100) and then back down. Start the watch, each minute you should be starting a sprint, meaning at 0, your first sprint, at 1 minute your second sprint.....

Workout 3:
10x(60/90), same concept as above, start the watch, every minute you should be starting your sprint. Oh yeah, all sprints at the same starting line. Hard on the 90s, especially later in the workout.

Workout 4:
1 x 400, 4 x 200. I ran the 400 in 71/72, 3 of the 200s at 31


And not 4 days in a row or anything, just over the past couple of weeks. The shorter sprints have been great, I think, for frisbee training.

10:30 AM  
Blogger phil said...

i understand the workouts just fine, but i'm not sure about the relationship between the title and the first sentence of your post?
-PBo
also, 12s for 100's? only 2.26s to go to catch asafa.

3:14 AM  
Blogger Brandon Twine said...

Thanks! Interesting workouts, I'll definitely add them to the mix here in crunch time. I usually follow the track workouts from Parinella's book:
3 sets of 3x400 (90 secs between reps, 4 mins between sets)
3 sets of 3x100 (same timing)
2 sets of 5x20 (focusing on instant bursts; each 20 rolls into the next; 90 secs between sets).
bt

8:30 AM  
Blogger SethG said...

Notre Dame is REALLY bad at football (aka Go Steelers!)

4:40 PM  
Blogger Warrior Princess said...

Are you still doing SubZero workouts?

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home