Tuesday, August 21, 2007

spawncityclassic - day 2

First, I forgot to mention the weather, it was great on Saturday. The wind picked up in the middle of the day but died down by the end. The temp was nice all day.

I wish I had stats for me, they would be pretty ugly, plenty o turns. One drop, that is pictured in the same link as posted in the comments section of the previous post. It is the one where I am laying out and have a hand on the disc. I did not hold on as I hit the ground. At least, I am pretty sure it was that grab.

Anyway, on to day 2-

Round 1- Bye, thank god. It was raining where we stayed in Seattle. And it rained the whole way up to Burlington. Luckily, we did not have to get there early

Round 2- Shazam Returns. They were undefeated coming into this game and we were 2-2. If we had any shot at the finals (most likely against them), we had to beat them. A 3-3 record would not cut it.

The rain was light to start this game and there was some wind. We start on O, 1-0. We would get a break after a nice grab by megac on the endzone 2-0. We had the chance to make it 3-0, but I underthrew a forehand huck to Jesse, they make 2-1. They tie it 2-2. Next O possession, I get it with a chance to throw a wide open backhand to an open cutter, but when I step with my right foot it completely slips out from under me and the disc takes off to the other field. They score again 2-3. We tie it at 3s.

Then they take off to half 3-8. Ugh. They were very efficient with the disc. And our O was plagued with some drops, at least 4 in this first half I can remember. And some turfs. Ugly. (I am not trying to make it sound like it was all our fault, they definitely pressured us, more on that in a second).

The second half was not so pretty to start either. It started to rain a little harder and there was a bit where it was a major downpour. After them going up like 5-11 or so, we did narrow it to 9-12/13 or so. We had a chance to score 10, I think to make it 10-12, but we had a high stall on the end zone that resulted in a turn. And another clumsy drop. Ufda. In the end, they won 9-15, I believe.

Shazam definitely appears to be the team. They are the most organized/together of all the units there. Maybe because they for sure had the most players in attendance(?) and that is the reason, but they looked solid all weekend. They are the most aggressive and physical team on defense for sure that I played against. You can read what you want into that previous sentence, but I do not think they bend the rules. But they don't really give you much space. IT was good to see that and know that we have to be prepared for that in the future.

I will mention that this was my grumpiest game I had. Besides the 2 earlier turns, I had another turn on another to T-dub where it just sailed a bit too high. So that was part of the reason for my grumpiness. I think everyone had a collective poor game too, so no one really stepped it up until late (and we made a run). So that was another reason. Then, early in the 2nd half, one of their guys was over aggressive guarding the dump. Eventually, our cutter calls a foul. The guy gets mad for some reason, saying something like "You can call any of the previous fouls, but don't push" or something to that nature. So he admits to fouling him. And yells at him. Our guy (Marky) gets the dump, fakes a throw to the open side and pivots back to the backhand. Now, this defender is so close to him (definitely closer than a disc space) that he does the old nestea plung and calls a foul (the worst foul call in my book, the "I have been over aggressive on the previous throw so now I am going to be even more over aggressive and call a foul even though I am the one breaking the rule"). Anyway, either then or the next throw. Travel (3rd time his call had negated a score I believe). Finally, a score. I was off the field, but came on an immediately applauded his great playing.

Fast forward another point or 2. He is on me and gets a legitimate, good d. No big deal, it was obviously the throwers fault ;),,, He gets the disc and I am stalling him, count gets high, 9...10. I think I paused between 9 and 10, because he initially looked like he was going to throw it, did not throw it, I said 10, he threw it. Anyway, he immediately says something like bs or contest or makes fun of the way I counted or something (again I believe I stalled him, but I am not 100% certain). It did not matter, the throw was d'd. I respond with "**c* you" and he responds with "*u** you, *i**h**d, 9/10". Did not matter our disc, we eventually turn it, they eventually score it, they eventually win.

Although I feel that guy was a little over aggressive, I think the rest of the team was fine and I have no problem with them. But this is about the funniest story from the weekend, so I thought I would share.

Round 3 - Flaming Moe. THe weather clears up and was beautiful the rest of the day. Both teams are 2-3, so winner goes 3-3. We come out hard and effective, 8-4. I caught a couple goals early and threw some short ones, a very clean half for our o. Our d got some big breaks early, after they got a couple deep looks. Definitely our best first half, one more half to follow it up.

We trade a little while longer 11-7(ish?). Our o, again looks strong, I think they broke us once, but we answered back with a break to even back up to 4. We change up our o a bit, they start a run. Go back to the original O, but either our confidence was shaken or they were hot or a little of both, next thing I know 12-14. Ouch, a 7-1 run. Anyway, we bring it back to 14s. I think Jen got a big d near their endzone to set up point 13. And then we got a d on the dump and I hit James deep on a fast break/nice catch to tie it up. Soft cap on, game to 16 no matter what. They score cleanly with Josh beating me in the endzone, 14-15. We score to tie it up with a backhand from me to Jen 15s.

We pull and get the d, after a couple of throws, I get it and as someone is cutting in, I notice James starting to streak down the backhand side. I have the disc in the middle/forehand side. After a fake, I decide to try and do too much with the disc, bend it around the cutter and the stack, and float it to the other side of the endzone for James. I made it to the endzone, as a blade. Ugh. They work it up a bit, call time out. Up line to a girl handler, I turn and see this and lunge way too late to get the d, Josh wide open, goal, game, Moe 15-16. Ugly loss for us, nice win for them. Fun game no matter what.

2 points on this game quickly- I was wrong about the endzone fall, I did forget the established possession clause of the unconested foul in the endzone for a score thingy... Sorry any flaming moers out there. Just so you know that I was consistent, I said that Paul should have had a goal earlier in the game on the same type of play. Whoops. Again, sorry for not knowing the 11th edition as well as I should. Although in my defense, I did say we should just take it at the endzone, since that is what Paul did.

Second, I yelled at Josh for fouling me in that game and made some comment about him fouling me all game. Again, I will go back that I was grumpy all day, damn Shazam! And snapped a little at Josh. But, I will say, my leg was being humped all tourney long. Now, it is slightly less than in an open tourney, but I don't know. I feel in every game, many of the markers were at least strattling my pivot foot. And many went beyond that. I was not expecting to have to make a stupid throw and call cheap fouls in coed, but I am now mentally prepared for that. I am not calling out all team an leaving my team out of it, but people are very close on the mark, too close. And a lot of time there is at least leg contact.

I did start to call some cheap things in the Moe game. I called 2 fouls on break mark backhands when I felt the marker was not giving me disc space, so I pivoted, made sure there was contact (since no matter who caused the contact it would be the marker's fault) and threw it/called foul. Both were completed, so it did not matter. But I know someone on Moe commented about me causing the foul from the sideline. Not if you do not give me disc space. I am a delicate little flower!

So George, I would not brag too much about coed marks, they did not live up to the billing. Especially when a man marks a woman in the cup near the trap. They might as well be hugging the girl. It is pretty ridiculous. Definitely a situation of the man marker trying to intimidate the woman. I saw that like 90% of the time on trap mark zones against us.

Now as a personal review- I am ok with how I played, but started to try and do too much with the disc. I think I am pretty good thrower 40 yards and under. Anything getting longer, I need it to be a one-on-one situation with the receiver. Basically, not the bendy around the stack flick I tried to send to james on double game point in the moe game. Damn you Haley for throwing that so well. Although sad to lose it on that throw, I think it is good because that throw will be in my head for the rest of the season. SO hopefully, I will learn. It takes a bit, I am getting older these days. Gives me throws to work on!

On defense, it felt good to be back having to challenge myself again. Defense is definitely harder for me than offense, in almost every sport I have played. Except baseball. But focusing on the position is a constant thought process and mentally tough. When I did that well, I played good defense. When I did not, the results were not always great. Kind of like some of the pics in the slideshow put up by Hugh.

It felt great just to be back at frisbee fields and playing again. We had a ton of fun and it was good to play, see old friends, etc. I remember how much fun I have playing frisbee. Someone from moe said "I thought you said you hated co-ed". Now, I do not remember ever saying that, unless it was as a joke so a coed player that I knew could hear that. I have definitely made fun of co-ed before, so maybe that was taken as I hated it. But I have also made fun of open before too...

With all that said, besides open/coed etc., I really enjoy playing frisbee first and foremost. When I first started playing, I did not fall in love with frisbee because I wanted to be an elite open ultimate player. I really enjoyed ultimate because it was a competitive outlet and I really enjoyed the people I was playing with. Somewhere along the way, I really wanted to train hard/practice hard/and play the best available outlet for me. When I was in Ann Arbor, it was magnUM or whatever fall team I played on. In Minneapolis, it was zero. And now in Hamilton, it is the Flycoons. I feel we showed we are competitive this past weekend. Plenty to work on, but plenty to take from. And most importantly, I enjoy my teammates on and off the field. That is why I play frisbee, so I can run around, chase a plastic thing, and bs when the day is done. I am looking forward to the fall. More to come

2 Comments:

Blogger gcooke said...

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the write-up. Good to know what is going on out there.

I know you were winding me up, but I actually said that Nate Miller's marks were about the only legal 11th marks in any div at Boston.

In any case, I do think that the wrap around cross-gender mark is something that every team needs to be ready for. On 6TM, we would scrimmage boys vs girls and have the boys play zone with VERY aggressive marks.

-G

6:59 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

GC- Just wanted to give you a hard time. It was a very fun weekend. It should make for a fun regionals out here.

Tim

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home