Monday, December 19, 2005

A quick review of Disc 4. Got it on Friday and have watched it completely twice and skipped around multiple times. Anyway, I thought it was well done. The music takes me back to the nintendo days, but a lot of quality highlights. Here are some of my thoughts questions-

- No matter how many times I watch our quarters game, we still do not win it.
- Seigs, really, a kick spike against PBR Streetgang? 15-3 win?
- Al Nichols + Al Nord are the 2 best players. They don't do anything wrong.
- Twisted beats Condors in their first ever nationals. And a couple of there guys are way too casual. You can't tell me they knew they were going to win.
- How big would Jason Simpson fro be if he did not have corn rows?
- Jim, that had to be one of the top 5 worst ever point blocks against you.
- Alex, what were you and Lou talking about?
- The best thing about the Kevin Cissna greatest was while everyone was watching what Kevin was about to do. Ron was the only person starting to set up another cut. He made an amazing play to get the disc, but he was the only one moving before the throw.
- The video makes me like Lugisdin more, but I do not think he should have been allowed to take an injury sub in the finals. He may have been injured, but he was not injured on that play. That was pretty sketchy.
- And if Oscar argues a call, there is a good chance he is wrong.
- Enough Furious hating, they played well.
- I would make fun of the condors here, but I have never beaten them.
- Hales, at least you are not the only person to throw a callahan on the dvd.
- Also, if you want to make a case against observers, watch this dvd. I really think that if observers are going to be used, they need to be on the field. Too many bad calls by them when they are on the sideline.
- Oh yeah, the furious call on Safdie in the finals of the NW, doesn't look too good for Furious either
- The dvd made it seem like we were actually in the game against Jam.
- Does AJ from Potomac ever see the poach?
- For the finals, they should constantly remind you how windy it was. Like a wind gauge in the corner or something.
- Seriously, how does Al always get open? He is like a 3 point shooter in bball that you can never take your eye off.
- Geoff, it is nice to see you are still willing to mix it up a little bit.

Anyway, the DVD was excellent and fun to watch. Rob did an excellent job

11 Comments:

Blogger parinella said...

It's hard to pick a top 5 out of all the point blocks lifetime. Let me think:
--Tried to throw a scoober over Chris Phillips in West Palm Beach in 1991. Caught.
--Tried a lift pass over Lugsdin back in about 1994 when he was still in Ottawa. Caught. (In both of these, the marker was several yards (probably outside the legal marking distance) away, so it's not a strict point block.)
--Summer league, about 1995, tried a low i/o flick, tried to abort the attempt because the cut stopped and the marker (Malcolm White) was in the way. The disc was still in my hand when he blocked it, and it went into the ground no more than 2 feet away and stopped, but I didn't call the foul because the pass was going into the ground anyway. But then I point-blocked him back.

Not sure what else would make Top 5. There was one by Mooney in practice in 1992 where I complained to the rest of the offense about a lack of timely cuts, setting me up for a predictable throw. Got pb'ed on low backhands by Ricky in 1994 and 2002 nationals.

But yeah, this one was a good one. In my head, the play seemed to transpire over about 4 seconds, but my wife said it was more like 0.2. I'm just happy the poor marker didn't get hurt.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Seigs said...

It was my first point ever at club Nationals.

First touch ever, turn on a wide-open, open-side backhand.

Got a layout D and then caught the score to make up for it. Can you blame a young guy for getting excited and kicking the disc?

Besides, I'd like to think that without my fire, we would have lapsed in the second half and only won 15-7 or 15-8.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Alex de Frondeville said...

The 'discussion' with Lou was after I had just had a shouting match with another of their players after he had purposely bumped me after we scored and they were walking back to the line. Lou had no idea his guy had bumped me, and was coming up to me to 'defend'. The guy apologized profusely later.

As for the getting open, I'll pretend you were talking about me, although I assume you meant Al Nichols. Dude, instant offense, just add water... :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger Seigs said...

with 3 hours of the post, and all 3 DoG players you mention have left comments.

We're awesome. Welcome to the Dlogosphere...

3:41 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Seigs- ok, I will give you a little room on the spike, but I do not want to watch disc 7 a see a kick spike at college nationals.

Also, I wanted to see how long it would take to get all 3 of you to comment. My guess was 4 hours.

AL- I was talking about Nichols. Although I do wonder how you get open, he was beating people deep on a routine basis. It was astonishing to watch this on dvd.

Maybe it is burned into my brain because he beat us deep on double game point...

5:14 PM  
Blogger Idris said...

i want to see the "call" against safdie is in the NW finals. i was 15 yards away and in shock. according to safdie right afterwards, he not only did not foul him... he did not touch anything (at the time everyone was thinking "clean block?", not a single furious player came to that guy's defense, but nobody told him to rethink the call either... of course, not sure i would have either).

2nd time furious has had a call on what appeared to be a BS foul call (zero contact) at game point or near game point in the NW finals v Jam.

hmmm.. starting to question/understand why furious never ever has observers in the finals of regionals :)

[fyi, if you play furious in a non-nationals quarters/semis/finals, they will always say NO observers]. a high high percentage play very clean, but it always opens the door for a few bad apples.

5:17 PM  
Blogger parinella said...

Here's my quick review of Disc 4:
95% of offensive possessions end in goals, 4.99% in sick blocks, and 0.01% in easy throwaways or drops.
80% of goals are from hucks.
Jam had an awful lot of games that were 8-8 or 11-10 before they pulled away.
He should have done something to highlight the bloggers, maybe something like that yellow line on the football field.
I really can't see how anyone can evaluate a player based on this video, since it's just a highlight reel. In baseball, the difference between a .300 hitter and a .270 hitter is about one hit per week, so anyone who claims that he can tell the two apart simply by watching a few games is full of it, and they're even more full of it if they just watch SportsCenter.

7:28 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

First- an apology to Andrew L. from Furious. He did not call an injury sub, Sockeye did. Then Jeff replaced. His biggest fan corrected me on this. I am sorry for making it seem like he may have had questionable spirit.

Idris- the camera angle is not the best (behind the opposite endzone). But the slo-mo sure looks like there was nothing touched by Safdie. Interestingly enough, there were no observers in the beginning of our quarters game. They asked for them somewhere around 11 all.

Jim- what is the 15 foot jumpshot equivalent in ultimate? Is it the dump pass leading the guy perfectly so he can swing it. Or the 15 yard gainer in the middle of the field?

9:58 AM  
Blogger parinella said...

what is the 15 foot jumpshot equivalent in ultimate?
I don't know, because I'm not sure what the significance of a 15 foot jumpshot is, other than I'm probably no better than 1 for 3 at that when left wide open. Are you talking difficulty? Difficulty for a pro? Usefulness? Necessity in order to set up other things?

10:51 AM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

Jim- Just poking fun at the Sportscenter comment. Sounded like Rick majerus there for a second. Basically, Barrett nailed it. They don't show the 15 foot jumpshot on Sportscenter!

9:07 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

How big would Jason Simpson's fro be if he did not have corn rows?

Sometimes we can convince him to take the corn rows out...the answer to your question - GINORMOUS.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home