Tuesday, December 06, 2005

First, I would like to congratulate myself for being, I believe, the first blogger to make a COTD (Alex was on the Trailer for Disc 4, but not actually doing anything frisbee related, just yapping). That is my nice anvert huck to Berkseth. Let's just say it floated a little more than I intended.

Second, I like George's classification of my blog, "Although a bit off topic". I think that is an excellent name for this blog.

So on that note, TUKA's (now known as magnUM) 1997 summary.

Michigan Indoor. 7on7 indoor on the football field. A little narrow field (2 fields on 1 football field). We went something like 4-1, beating all college teams. The only play I really remember is Geoff catching a goal and colliding with a defender from Mr. Yuk (Carnegie Mellon). The defender, calls foul and is laying face first on the turf in obvious pain. Geoff, with his back to the guy, yells something like. "Foul, that ain't no foul. This is my disc Bitch!" I know the word Bitch was in there. Oh another point I remember is dropping the disc on double gamepoint against the Ann Arbor Club team. We lost. I had the last turn. Also, Lippy + Greff had a team and they ended up winning the thing, I think. I left early to drink.

Groundhog's Day. A tourney at an indoor soccer place. 5on5, with it 4-1 coed. Also, the tourney started at 10 pm and finishes at 6:30 am. Good times. We had about 6 college guys with 2 club (dave Moran and Jimmy Young). Our girls were Amy Young and then some Oberlin girls, I believe. I remember nothing besides beating Oberlin at some point and getting to the finals. Then we got crushed.

Artic Vogue in Cincinnati. Outdoor. We go 4-0 on Saturday. Our 2 best guys are sick, so we leave after Saturday and do not stay for Sunday. This included one of our best games against Notre Dame. We score the last 5 or 6 points against them. All playing zone. The best d was Jaeger laying out for a point block, but the thrower faked it. The thrower goes to throw the same throw and Jaeger, from the ground, blocks it.

White Smoke at Notre Dame. We do ok. I can't remember much besides getting beat by ND pretty handily on their home turf. I left after Saturday b/c I had to work. I think that was the only game we lost on Saturday.

Clemson. This was a tourney when I really fell in love with ultimate. Drove down Friday afternoon and got there late. Woke up, played against the best teams we ever played against. San Diego? Clemson? I remember nothing except our team only had like 4 discs there. Partied very hard Sat. Woke up, won a game on Sunday, then took off. The whole trip was awesome.

Sectionals. We won this over K-zoo, Hope, Lansing Community College and State. I can't believe we were that much better than anyone else in our state.

Regionals in Northfield. This included the first time I ever crossed the Mississippi in my life (now I do it like 4 times a day). Leaving AA at like 6 pm b/c of finals and getting in ~4 am. We got a speeding tix and met some drunk cops when we pulled into the hotel.
-We were seeded 8th or 9th as we were in Wisconsin's pool.
-Saturday, we beat 2 teams. Including St. Olaf, probably our best game that year. -Karl had a hat trick of drops during this game. I remember this b/c I still have pictures from this game.
-The infamous "If there is one thing I know, it is not a broken collar bone" comment from Brian Lane. Well, Dan did break his collar bone.
-In the 3rd game, we played Wisconsin. They crushed us. At one point, Jammin comes onto the field (drunk) and is bragging about the fact he is going to nutmeg someone. Well, they huck it to him. He drops it. We turn it over. He gets the disc back and goes to nutmeg Wu. Wu pushes him over and yells at him "call a foul". I felt is was appropriate
-In our last game, we play Colorado St. The winner advances to Sunday. Loser goes home or more accurately gets drunk and goes home. Well, they beat us. It was close. I remember the last point fairly vividly. We were playing d, I was on Scotty Conway. Someone poaches, his guy gets the disc and bombs it to Scotty on the break force side. I can't get there. One more throw goal.

As you can tell, not much strategy from that year. The horse and buggy does not allow for much experimentation. We just kept bombing it and playing d. The next year we tried a little more strategy. But the best a Michigan team had done since the 80s. We had started something and we had almost everyone returning...

1 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

Well, my 1st blog post was yesterday and I was in a clip back from the ECC highlights, so I guess we can call it a tie?

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home