Friday, December 02, 2005

My running diary of the world games. To model after my favorite writer of all time, the Sports Guy. I decided to relax and watch the dvd of the world games final between US and Australia. I mean after all, I selected the team. Another reason I am doing this is I was intrigued by Mr. Parinella’s thoughts on the actual time of play… So you will see some time stuff along the way. I started the time for each point from the pull until the goal was scored. And tried to stop my watch for calls. Not sure how accurate everything is.

-Lots of talking, this guy sounds like Rich Eisen!
-I am going to try and time the actual play….
-US will receive. Hmmm, Aussies are tall. Hopefully, Chase is tall enough. And didn’t Zip graduate? I thought he did.
-So you can’t really see the cutting which is a bummer, but a good view of thrower and marker.
-First call – 27 seconds in. Not sure what.
-1-0 Will to Dom on a nice big throw. Some d pressure on the initial start play, but none after the US goes upfield. Total time for point 41s.
-Time in between pull - ~58 s.
-1-1 Big huck 42 to “one of the dowle twins” , total time ~22 s. One call this point as well.
-Time in between pull - ~70 s
-Lots of poaching by Australia. 2-1, Zip goes up to get Eastham’s throw. Very nice grab. Incidentally, is Zip balding? Isn’t he like 22? Rogaine is a solution. Time ~ 22s
-Time in between pull - ~ 61 s
-42 big huck and again one of the dowles gets it. 2-2. It looked like they ran the “double with cheese”. 28 s. So far Australia takes 2 or 3 throws to get it to 42 and then he sends it. Hmm, its starting to rain
-Time in between pull – 65 s
-3rd call. And 4th call. Apparently, someone Aussie girl is named Granny and no one knows why. 3-2 Will to Chase up the line. And Will maybe hurt. Uh oh… Only 2 subs and 1 guy hurt. Time of point ~ 63 s.
-Hey look its Ron!
-Time in between ~ 55s
-They are ripping on Bart’s pull. It looked a lot like one of my 62 yard pulls.
-Another high swill huck. What!?!?!?!? #42 lays out out of bounds high w/ Namkung all over hmm laying out and throws the chicken wing greates. One throw later a goal. Holy cow. I did not think athletic plays were allowed in co-ed. A great play by 42. I think he is a key guy. 3-3 Total time ~25 s.
-Timeout by someone. Time in between ~115s.
-First brick. 4-3 Zip to Deb. Ez point for the US. 25 seconds to bring disc to brick, then 28 s to score.
-People think I look like Jeff Eastham. He is a little too fat to be me.
-In between pulls ~63s. Chase pulls out of bounds (stop lifting Chase). Another brick. 40 s to get disc in play. Aussie girl gets stalled . First turn of the game. US has disc near endzone, Miranda with disc, high stall, turn. Long discussion, pick after the turn? ~40s. Aussie huck, nice grab by one of the Aussie women. 42 to girl unsure of # . 42- girl #44 for the score. Nice bid by Miranda. Time of play, 120 s. Total time of point 3:50. Lots of discussion time. Each team with their first turn. And a couple of calls. I should be counting calls and not time… 4-4
-Some dude from Australia heard they were in the finals and flys there overnite to see his women play. Love is no neat.
-Time in between pull ~70 s. Will is ok.
-Chase throws into poach. Nice layout catch d. Guy 14 – girl 20. 4-5. 34 s of play, 10 s of discussion.
-Timeout, and I can’t wait to hear Jude’s nickname. 75 s in between pull. Oh, his nickname is widowmaker b/c of one time…. I am pretty sure you do not get that nickname b/c of one time.
-Will comes backs. And throws a decent length backhand to Deb. 5-5. 44 s.
-Oh, Will “zipped that thing” even though he is not zipperstein. This announcer is just like Rich Eisen!
-Time in between pull 76s
-There has to be some slight wind, but not sure. Chase’s pull barely got to the endzone.
-Miranda d. Just beat her woman to the disc, it looked like. Zip to Namkung. 40 s total for the point. 6-5
-I think the US women are much better then the Aussie women. They seem a little more athletic and less nervous with the disc.
-Namkung is wearing some Enge-like tape on his neck.
-Time in between pulls. ~55 s.
-The aussies are actually working it up the field for the first time. Big, tall hammer. Potsy threw it. I did not know he played ultimate. Happy days are here again. Oh and 42 caught it. Over someone, I missed who. 40 s for the goal. 6-6.
-Time in between pull 70s.
-I think 42 is very important for Australia’s success
-Lefty pull, oh no, that is actually his right hand . I am making fun of Rich Eisen…
-Deb huck to Bart. Wide open. I mean wide. About 10 yards short of endzone. Timeout Bart. 18 s. It seemed no one was there to help Bart.
-So I just realized the game is to 13. So this is for half. Big point. Timeout took - ~1:45.
-Aussie comes out in z after to. A good surprise. Invert by Deb, missed by Kati. Not sure if that was a throwaway or drop. It looked catchable, but it could have been too far behind her. Namkung interception. Oh, some call. Nice frustration roll back to thrower. Potsy gets stalled. Didn’t he see the Fonz open? Watson to Namkung up line. Hammer To Will,. 7-6. Time of play 56s. About a 1:45 minute timeout. And about 25 s of discussion… Total time of point 3:05.

Ok, so I know the US wins. Here are my predictions:

- The US d has to have Chase covering the guy going deep or else one of the other guys has to step up to get a deep d.
- I think the US will exploit the match up of the women. More d’s from the women. And maybe more goals.
- Straight up on 42?
- The only way the Aussies have gotten d’s are on zone or poach. If I were an Aussie, I would play more zone in the 2nd half. It seems the Aussies can’t hang with the US person on person.

So first half summary:
7 – 6 US over Australia.
US 3 turns –
Will has 1 g 3 a, zip has 1 g 2 a, Deb has 2 g, Mike has 1 g 1 a, Dom + CSB have a goal, Jeff has 1 a.

Australia 3 turns – 42 has 1 g 4 a. The Dowle Twins have at least 2 g.

Actual time of play – 563 s. Or 9 minutes 23 seconds for 13 points. This is the actual disc in play time. Does not count pulls, discussion of calls, or timeouts.

Total time in between pulls including 2 commercial breaks – 833 s or 13 minutes 53 seconds..

One timeout in point of 1 minute 45 seconds.

I wish I could have kept the discussion time for calls. I would say that this added an average of ~ 20s per point, maybe less. That is an additional 4 minutes or so to the half.

2nd half later, LT is up.

2 Comments:

Blogger parinella said...

I watched the Rhino/Jam game from 2005 NW Regionals on the ultivillage DVD. There was about 16 minutes of live disc in the 2nd half. A simple travel or marking foul took about 10 seconds of dead time. A call where a pass actually went off took about 30 seconds, since players kept moving and had to amble back slowly to their positions. Turnovers were generally more than 20 seconds, but I couldn't be sure because those were usually edited. Same with between pulls and bricks.

As for action, there were only maybe 3 times where the disc was live for more than 30 seconds continuously, and one of those involved a catch block. Occasionally it was because a goal was scored within 15 seconds, but usually there was a call stopping play. In fairness, this game was cited by someone as having too many calls, and the Sockeye/Furious game (of which I watched only a little as I was bored by that point at watching other people play) seemed to have a little more flow.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Schmelz said...

Tim, you need more Smush Parker references.

I recently went back and watched the Stacked Open finals from 03. I felt glad that my DVD player has a Fast Forward x50 option (as well as a mute button, but that's a whole other can of worms).

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home