Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The worst throw in the world is the high release backhand. Ok, there are dumber throws. And dumb throwers, but look at the best. None of them are defined by the high release backhand. They all can throw it. But it seems as though they prefer not to.

The high release backhand is the first "trick" throw that college kids pick up. Probably the first one I picked up. And usually the first one all of the rookies I see pick up. It is not a bad throw for a quick little dump. Or if the marker has over-committed to stop your low backhand. But to use this throw to beat a cup through the middle. Or throw a 25 yard break mark pass. Or do anything more than just to continue the point. That is pretty stupid. Yes, there are counter examples. I play with a dude who loves to break the mark this way. He started on our O. I must admit to holding my breath anytime he flung this in the air over the marker. Where is it going to end up?

I think there is also a difference between a high release backhand and a backhand thrown from a higher release point. The first means (to me) you are throwing over someone. Or kind of flicking a backhand up in the air, to come down somewhere else. The most common example is a college team working against a zone. Thrower gets it. Receiver 5 yards to the side or behind the cup. Instead of a low break mark, thrower goes over the top of the cup. This gets d'd by the cup or by another zone defender b/c it is that easy to d. The second means to throw a backhand, but at a higher release point. Maybe semantics, but a big difference.

Here are some alternatives/advice/thoughts:

- Don't be so lazy, pivot around the mark. Geez.

- Just because it works indoors does not mean it will work outdoors. (This means nothing to anyone on the west coast or south, but it means a lot to us midwesterners).

- It is much better to throw low and stretch past the marker. You will throw with more spin. And you can more easily throw past a marker rather than throw over.

- Get a scoober. High release backhand is very often used when trapped on the forehand line. With a scoober, you never have to change grips. You can get it off quicker. You can get more spin on it. It also makes you look like a better thrower.

- Never, ever try to throw over a cup with any throw unless it comes out in blade form. Therefore, work on your blades or hammers.

- Any wind situation will take your high release and shove it. The high release has less spin than a throw at normal level or lower. Not a lot of high releases thrown in Sarasota on Saturday.

- If you tryout for a team that I am on, I will immediately label you "not a thrower".

Happy turkey day.

6 Comments:

Blogger AJ said...

I don’t really have anything to add, but this is my least favorite pass in ultimate as well. There are just so many better ways to accomplish the same thing.

Jim did throw a really sweet one against Chain at natties though.

aj

7:19 AM  
Blogger parinella said...

I have trouble avoiding the high backhand ever since I found out about it at Boulder in the early '90s.

The low release is much more likely to result in a foul. Maybe next year I'll work on getting used to contact on the throw, which is something I really try to avoid.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Schmelz said...

How do you feel about the flip/high release push pass? Seems to get more spin than the backhand but still not the best choice.

12:54 PM  
Blogger $ said...

Tim, in certain situations a lefty (especially) and righty high back hand can be devestating. We have a number of people who will throw it. Although our average gain is 10 yds or less and is used only in specific situations.

I might say that thrown properly, it should have a good amount of spin. People are too lazy to learn how to throw it properly as it is an easy throw to learn, but difficult to master.

Come out here and we'll teach you how to throw it :)

$

4:37 PM  
Blogger sometallskinnykid said...

schzheleme- high release push pass is ok if you used for a 2 yard open forehand. But again an easy throw to get lazy with, ie Mark Bearsand or Pfil. I do not like the breakmark version, unless your name is Andrew.

mr ash- I used to be a big anti-other hand throw guy. And then I almost broke my hand before regionals this year so I practiced lefty backhands for a week. Now, I appreciate them a little more.

I think they can be used effectively. And the people who use them usually don't use them as a lazy alternative like the high release backhand. Unfortunately for us, you guys could have thrown with your feet and it would not have mattered.

My only complaint are the abusers of this throw who travel. Some dude from Kaos travels all over the place. And does not like to get called for them.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Hh said...

I don't know if I agree on this for left-handed throwers, Tim. Too often markers are set into a right-handed mentality when forcing forehand and their overall body placement makes breaking the mark with this throw effortless. As you've said, it's not a massive yard gainer, but coming quickly and catching the marker unprepared it allows for a significant advantage to the next thrower, who now has an uncontested throw along the break side.

It's one of my favorite throws, but then again, I'm a leftie.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home